Since not a Mac, will a Sony VAIO CW do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macswitcha2, Jan 22, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I don't normally ask questions about a PC and I am a mac promoter but my girl cannot get a mac at this time. She recently purchased this TOSHIBA

However..she wants to exchange it for this SONY VAIO

Her issues is because the Toshiba has an overly sensitive touch pad and the keyboards are flimsy and she likes the look and feel of the Sony Vaio.

While she waits to get macbook in the future....which would you recommend? I here Toshiba is a good pc brand, what is your knowledge and experience?

2. Macdicted macrumors regular

Why spend $800 on a Sony when you can get a refurbished Macbook for $850
    Comes with full waranty and everyone I know has had nothing but good things to say about their refurb Mac's.

Just a thought ?

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

My girl cannot get herself to buy a used product...

I really need you guys help...lets be a little bit more objective..the Sony look better...has a better graphic card and a slightly bigger display but other than those differences, they're basically the same machine so it comes down to which one is more reliable?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just to derail for one more moment, a refurbished product is no more "used" than a new model really. It's a new computer that had an issue, that issue was fixed and the computer was returned to factory spec and then resold. If anything it should be more reliable than a new model since whatever issue it had has been fixed.

Generally Sony's nicer VAIO laptops are pretty high quality, but I've never used their lower end stuff hands on.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

I am both a Mac and Windows user. Love both. I just love computers. If your girl can afford it, get the $950 Sony Vaio CW laptop that's only available at bestbuy.com. It's not available at the Best Best store. Also use Bing cashback and save yourself another $45.

I would not get that $800 Sony Vaio laptop. Here's why.
    1. It only has the intel core i3 (no turbo boost) It's has older graphics (310m Nvidia) chip. It only has the 1366X768 resolution.

The Sony CW $950 laptop will have the intel core i5 (520m). That's a much better processor. Toshiba is selling a laptop with an intel core i5 for $900 at best buy but it has the inferior intel core i 5 (430m) procesor.

Plus the $950 Sony CW has a higher resolution (1600x900); you are seeing a lot more screen, an Nvidia 330M graphics chip. PLUS it has a blu ray player and a DVD/CD burner. You are getting a lot of laptop power/performance for this $950 laptop.

If she doesn't want the blu ray player, she can opt for the same identical Sony CW intel core i5 (520M) laptop that bestbuy is selling for $900.

Remember to use bing.com cashback.

Again, I would not get the intel core i3 laptop.

I just received that $950 Sony CW laptop that I ordered from Best Buy.com. I love it. It reminds me of my macbook that I sold. The keyboard is very similiar. Very comfortable palm rest. Screen is great.

As a side note, I sold my 24 inch alumn iMac. I was going to buy the brand new 27 iMac with intel core i7. But I probably wait for the next revision in 4-6 months to buy that $2200 top of the line iMac.

Than I will have the best of both worlds. Sony VAIO CW intel core i5 laptop to go with a 27 inch iMac intel core i7 (when the screen problems are all worked out).

Sony is being very aggressive with their VAIO CW pricing. I used to think they were overprice and should just get the Macbook. But this $950 Bestbuy.com exclusive offering with the lastest intel core i5 will attract a lot of customers who are on the fence between getting another 13 inch macbook white/13 inch macbook pro alum. and a windows laptop.

Apple has a dilemma with the new intel core i5/i7 mobile chips. They will probably put the intel core i3/low end core i5 in their base macbook model. They may decide to put the higher end core i5 in their base macbook pro 13 inch model (but that will cost at least $1299 and up). They will than put the new intel core i7 mobile 620M chip in their higher end 15 inch macbook pro. I belive Apple will avoid the core i7 720qm chip alltogether because they are horrible on batter life.

6. Macdicted macrumors regular

Well then how about Amazon , MacBook for $950 , no tax , free shipping !

Did you really come on here and expect people to tell you the Sony was as good or better :rolleyes:

7. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Yes, Getting a pre-tested refurb from Apple is a great way to get a MacBook rather than "something else".

8. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

I'd go with an HP laptop, just because Sony puts soo much bloatware on their computers, as compared to the other brands of pc's that also put bloatware, but not as much as Sony.

9. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816