since the .8 update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bozz2006, Aug 6, 2009.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Keeping my eye on activity monitor, it seems to me as though Safari and itunes, two of the programs that are always open on my machine, take up much less processing power. For example, whereas Safari would run between 8-25% during my normal browsing, it's now staying around 3-8%. And I've noticed a drop in my processor temp, too. Normally, it hover around 125 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas now it sticks between 105-115. Anyone else notice a similar change?

2. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

3. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i actually shut down my computer pretty frequently compared to most others. i doubt it's that.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The only thing I've noticed is FF 3.5.1 is running a bit slower :(

Edit: Actually CPU temps do seem down a touch, 2-4C maybe? Then again, it's cooler here today than it's been for the past few weeks, could be that even!

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No significant changes on MacBook Pro. Don't think the update really helped me since I wasn't experiencing the AirPort or Bluetooth problems.

6. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

I'm told the Combo Update from Apple's site is preferable to to updating via Software Update - why?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just because if something wasn't quite right in a previous update the Combo Update has all the files and can repair the messed up one if the incremental one cannot.

I personally, have never seen a difference.

8. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

The .8 upgrade has had some slight effect. iTunes, Safari, Adium and DOSbox (heh heh DOS games ftw) all seem to be using less processor power (in the range of 8-10% drops) and that has caused my computer to have not reached more than 110ºF unless I'm doing something intensive which is a 10º drop.

So... I haven't checked yet but I'm going to see if the battery performance has jumped up a few minutes!