Since the Dock is now useless...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lowonthe456, Aug 21, 2011.

1. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

How can I permanently disable it?

I've always been a heavy dock user, but I am really coming around to using Launch Pad. Now the dock is an after thought...especially with full screen apps.
    I'd like to retire the dock from active duty.

2. sheeracali macrumors member

If Im not mistaken, Launchpad is part of the Dock.app

3. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Gestures. You could hide the dock in the dock preferences.

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't see how the Dock has become useless in Lion. I use it as much as before. The Launchpad is pretty much useless for most people, at least in my opinion. Of course it is nice to have options, but still the Launchpad is not a dock replacement...

5. QuarterSwede, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

OP, I decided to embrace LaunchPad (after organizing it, ugh), mapped it to F10 on my MacBook and decided that the Dock was partly redundant as well (it's not useless). What I did was to move my shortcuts to LaunchPad (not in folders). Now my dock shows me all running apps, folders and minimized windows. It's quite useful that way.

I've showed this probably 3 times already in different threads but since it's relevant to the topic:

[​IMG]

6. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Best you can do is just hide the Dock.

Like others I don't find the Dock totally useless since Lion's release. For me it further enhances what was already a flexible workflow. Mission Control, Launchpad, and the Dock is a win for me!

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I use a combination of Dock and Launchpad. My Dock has far fewer items in it now though. I still have all the main apps I use in the Dock so I can quickly launch them at any time. Apps I use but not so often on the first page of Launchpad.

I have found that using the Dock, Mission Control, Launchpad, and a Magic Trackpad with gestures is far better than what I had in Snow Leopard.

S-

8. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies!

SInce the dock is hidden behind full screen apps, and a 13" MBP lacks screen real-estate I use full screen a lot...

I like the idea of using it to show whats running :)

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I am glad you changed your mind after such a statement at 2:53, "Since the Dock is now useless" :rolleyes:

10. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't changed my mind. I thought it was an interesting idea :rolleyes:

11. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i haven't used the dock in YEARS (mostly on a 13" macbook). i use 'dock gone' (check macupdate.com) to lock it away.

it's not perfect, but it does the job. especially on a 13" screen, the dock (for me!) serves no purpose.

i use the app switcher to switch between open apps, and launchpad to open programs...