Since the glass curves, do you think the iPhone 6 will be more shatter prone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stephen1108, Sep 15, 2014.

1. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this thread has been made yet, so forgive me if it has.

Since the glass screen curves into the edges of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, I'm under the impression that the phone would be far more prone to shattering than the 5/5s were. Those models' glass were protected by the chamfered edges, we can't say the same for the 6/6+.

[​IMG]

I always use a case, so this topic wouldn't really pertain to me, but drop-tests and those who don't use cases came to mind. :)

Of course we won't know about the true durability of the phone until drop-tests and whatnot are completed, but I'd like to know what do you all think given this design change?

2. Anti.Hero macrumors member

Anti.Hero

I'm also going to be putting a case on mine as well, unfortunately that means I won't be able to benefit from the curved glass and the effortless swiping it allows from edge to edge. :\

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Does the glass actually curve, or is that an illusion of the bezel curving into the glass? I was wondering the same thing tonight because I like to put solid glass protectors on my phones and don't know the 6 series phones would fair with these protectors.

4. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well one of the selling points of the phone has been the curved glass providing easier edge to edge swiping, so I'm willing to bet the glass actually curves :D

5. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

how does glass on a phone usually break? the edge of the glass right? normal glass comes to a sharp L turn and when that hits directly thats what would cause most shatters. Since the glass is curved and hides that edge you don't want to hit why would you think it would be more shatter prone? It looks like it basically has no sharp edge it flows into the body so no edge to hit...

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Great point. LOL.:eek:

7. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was thinking if the phone landed on one of these edges:

[​IMG]

The glass would be far more prone to shattering, than if those same edges were hit on the 5/5s since the 6 is bare glass there. The 5/5s has the metal somewhat protecting the edges of the glass around the perimeter.

[​IMG]

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I am sure there will be some jackass in line on launch day, dropping brand new iPhones on the pavement to advertise their little screen protector company.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Still doesn't stop this

Attached Files:

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

the 5 and 5s screen actually pops up a bit from the aluminum so id say those phones would shatter easier on the edge or where it lands just because of this. hard to tell how much if all the glass sticks up out of the shell of the 6 without seeing it in person but if its total covered it will handle drops a lot better.

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I would like to see some physics analysis of this.

Would the 5s actually be MORE prone to shattering because the aluminum would strike on an edge, and actually deform and compress the glass in a worse way than the edge of the bare glass striking and deflecting the impact away from itself?

12. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Ever had a watch with the bezel lower than the glass, or curved glass/crystal etc. ??? I won't buy a watch now with the bezel below the glass, much easier to damage.

Just my 2p

13. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

Im going to say yes. My Galaxy S3 from years had a similar design and it shattered very easily from the spot outlined in the pic above. No way am I going caseless on this one...

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think this new design is going to make screen protectors harder to apply. I wonder if Apple really made this screen stronger with the ion-strengthened glass or just more scratch resistant?