Since update, can't use Mail, Safari, Youtube or App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by simon567, Mar 12, 2011.

1. simon567 macrumors member

As the title suggests, since installing IOS 4.3, I can no longer use any of the following:

Safari - opens, but then crashes back to the home screen as soon as I try to load a site.
    Mail - Downloads email ok, but when I try to read it, crashes back to the home screen.
    Youtube & App Store - Open for a second, then crash out to the home screen.

All third party apps seem to work fine, for example I can browse the web using Opera.

I've tried syncing, resetting, updating all my apps (App Store works fine through iTunes), restoring through iTunes, I'm pretty much out of ideas!

I've done lots of Googling, but usually people seem to have problems with third party apps, mine is the opposite way around. I haven't Jailbroken my phone, so there shouldn't be anything dodgy on there.

I have a 16GB 3GS.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Did you "restore as new", or restore from backup?

3. osagher macrumors newbie

Exactly the same behavior since iOS4.3 update

The same apps quit on me as well. Interesting, though, since I updated my OS a couple of days ago, and this behavior hasn't surfaced until today. I have to believe that this is related to an update to one of the third party apps. I did a restore to a backup (unfortunately the only backup I had saved on my machine was the backup from the corrupted phone). That didn't work. Then I did a restore to blank. That fixed the problem. Now the question is - WHICH third party app is to blame?

4. SkyMatt macrumors newbie

My Solution

This may sound crazy, but for me it was just going into the mail settings and setting the preview to 5 lines (from 2 lines). Almost as if any setting change would do.

My symptoms were as follows:
    Without any changes, the following just stopped working:
    • Safari: opened to a blank page for less than a second before crashing
    • Mail: I could read previews of the emails. I could send emails. I just couldn't "open" emails.
    • YouTube: crashed within a second
    • AppStore: crashed within a second
    • Every other app worked without fail

I tried to take it slow with my attempted fixes. After the obvious "reboot" and resetting network settings, I was about to go a step further with the settings reset when it occurred to me that I should make trivial settings updates, and it appears the mail one did the trick. I'm guessing the settings file just needed to be updated.