Since updating carrier settings- iPhone switches to edge when usig internet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by branjosef, Feb 12, 2009.

1. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I am not sure if anyone else is having this problem , but since updating the carrier settings my phone will show 3g netweok status until I try using any app that requires the Internet. It will then switch from 3g to edge ( sometimes constantly switching between the two). I live in Chicago so I don't know if it is something specific to this area. My phone is jailbroken but I only have cydia, poof, and rename installed. Very frustrating. Ive tried restarting but not a factory restore yet. What's everyone think?

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The carrier update shouldn't have any effect on the signal... it was just to add a new Micro-Cell carrier name PNG for the upcoming Micro-Cell from AT&T.

3. branjosef thread starter macrumors 6502a

branjosef

So I got home and noticed that I don't have the problem anymore. It would seen that being in downtown chicago, my phone was switching between the two all day long. My battery was totally drained. Now back in the suburbs, my phone stays with 3G. I still think that the update might have done more than just add those png files although I could be wrong. Either way, it was really frustrating

4. darinlmiller macrumors newbie

I live in Chicago and I noticed the same effects after the carrier update. My phone now routinely switches between 3G and Edge. Even at my home where I only had 3G before, now will fluctuate back and forth.

5. branjosef thread starter macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I restored my phone which removed the carrier update. Now I just say no when the carrier update offer pops up in itunes. My phone is back to normal now. I dont buy that it just added pngs. I am convinced it did other things as well. Just restore your phone and it should get rid of the update. hope this helps

6. darinlmiller macrumors newbie

Every since the latest firmware upgrade and carrier update my phone relies on Edge much more than before. My phone has always been full signal 3G at my apartment since the iPhone 3G came out. After those upgrades, my phones stays in Edge. I have noticed it bouncing between Edge and 3G much more than it did in the past. Any ideas?