Since upgrading Tiger to Snow Leopard, open browser tabs don't restart

Discussion in 'macOS' started by playethic, May 31, 2010.

1. playethic macrumors member

Hi

I'm not totally sure if this belongs in OSX/Snow Leopard, or if the question is related to browsers...

Here's the scoop...
    I'm very ADD as a researcher - always following links and then thinking 'damn, that looks interesting' and going back, then off to another tangent, back to the main one again, and want the info on all of them ... so I end up with 20-40 tabs open, sometimes in several browsers/browser windows. It's taken me time to unearth them, so I don't want to lose them - but also I often have to leave suddenly and don't have time to save them all as bookmarks or in delicious or whatever. So in Tiger, when I shut down Firefox (I sometimes used Safari too) it asked if I'd like my open tabs to appear next startup, and I said you bet yes please. Next system startup, they reappeared: bing!

Happy user. Even if the browser crashed (not infrequent considering how much load I put on them), bing! - my tabs would reappear. At worst, I'd be asked to shut down a few tabs/windows to help the browser start happier.

Since upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard (yeah, I missed the middle upgrade. Got a store, MacStation, to do the upgrade when I was getting keyboard replaced) -- since upgrading, this misery scenario happens all the time: I go to shut down. It asks me 'hey, lotta tabs open, want us to remember them for you and show them to you when you come back?' and I say 'that'd be a massive relief and time saver, thanks'. I shut down (or it crashes; same thing). When I power up again, what happens? THEY LIED. Safari & Firefox restart AND ALL MY OPEN TABS IN BROWSER WINDOWS ARE GONE, GONE, GONE FOREVER. )((*&^%$#@!!

Ideas? Workarounds?

Thx in advance...
    Lisa

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It would be nice to get to know your browsers more intimately, for instance, what are their versions?

Also has a bump on the buttocks (reset) helped anything?

Btw, Safari only allows to save open tabs via a plug-in called Stand (or some others), it's not made by Stephen King though.

3. playethic thread starter macrumors member

Still grief

I somehow missed the response, sorry.

But I am still having this problem, and it still causes me grief.

Chrome solves this problem (my tabs always reappear) but I often need to use Firefox because of plugins or other reasons. I upgrade Firefox whenever I know of a new version. All my browser tabs always disappear, even though it asks if I want them saved for next system launch and I've responded 'yes'.

Current Firefox version I'm using is 3.6.11

I'd appreciate any explanations/ideas.

Lisa

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I'm not exactly sure if this is kinda what you want or not, but it has a ton of useful features, which i think you might like:

Glims for Safari.