Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtparies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Hello,
before big sur, i would mount my nfs mount via finder-->connect to server with the command
nfs://192.168.1.230/usbdrive
now it comes back immediately with the error
"the was a problem connecting to the server"

so then i tried via shell

sudo mount -o rw -t nfs 192.168.1.230:/usbdrive ~/temp
mount_nfs: can't mount with remote locks when server (192.168.1.230) is not running rpc.statd: RPC prog. not avail
mount: /Users/me/temp failed with 74

Is there something i need to re-install after the upgrade?

Thanks

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico
It's possible that in Big Sur, the defaults for mounting NFS have changed. You may need to pass options via -o to disable advisory fcntl locks if the server isn't running rpc.statd. Alternatively, run rpc.statd on the remote side to support file byte-range locking. In Terminal, "man mount_nfs" for more information. There are the options locallocks, nolocks, nolockd, nolock, and nonlm.

WARNING: if you access files read/write from multiple NFS clients at the same time with any of these options set, data loss or data corruption may be the result.

Reactions: bernuli

dimitarvp

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2020
I get "invalid argument" and "error code 22" when trying to use any of the NFS locks options. And I am on Big Sur. I wonder why.

Without the locks option the mount sort of works though.

stfs

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
I'm having this problem and get errors if I try -o nolocks:

Code:
❯ sudo mount -o nolocks -t nfs nas-server:/volatile-volume-stripe ~/nfs/volatile
mount_nfs: can't mount /volatile-volume-stripe from nas-server onto /Users/stefan/nfs/volatile: Operation not permitted
mount: /Users/stefan/nfs/volatile failed with 1

Any ideas?

stfs

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
I'm having this problem and get errors if I try -o nolocks:

Code:
❯ sudo mount -o nolocks -t nfs nas-server:/volatile-volume-stripe ~/nfs/volatile
mount_nfs: can't mount /volatile-volume-stripe from nas-server onto /Users/stefan/nfs/volatile: Operation not permitted
mount: /Users/stefan/nfs/volatile failed with 1

Any ideas?
I eventually got this to work with:
sudo mount -o nolocks,resvport,locallocks -t nfs nas-server:/volatile-volume-stripe ~/nfs/volatile

But please note that this can screw up your data if you're accessing the same mount from multiple locations (as is the point of NFS to begin with).

faustin120

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
I have setup two IMAC 27'S and then upgraded them to Big Sur.
I am attempting to map several NFS style drives and to no avail I am not able to connect them.This is an example of what I am trying to do.
Any Idea why in Big Sur this path will not work, but on my older Yosemite Imac it works fine?

nfs://dtg_user:T33spring@images.ad.teespring.com/images/dtg_hotfolders/rb-standard

laxamar

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2021
If your NFS server is version 4, you can mount with locks:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/mount_name sudo mount -o vers=4,resvport -t nfs server:/export/name /Volumes/mount_name

My server stupidly forces me to use reserved ports :-/

Paul van der Meij

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2021
I used to work with auto mounting nfs on my apple macbook trom a NAS server (Synology DS920) synchronising with rsync, but since an upgrade (still big Sur) it stopped working, `i changed from NFS to AFP and it was OK.
Then came Monterey and the working deteriorated:
In the mac finder I can still access the files on the NAS through AFP
In a terminal I can no longer access the AFP share, I have to use root privileges (sudo)
The rsync from the MAC (also only sudo) no longer creates files on the NAS with the correct user owner, so I have to do a chown for all the files/maps that are created from my rsync on the MAC
I do this of course on my linux PC
Is anybody having the same problems, and even better a solution.

I think I will install linux on my MAC as soon as the port of linux to the M1 macbook is available

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
I used to work with auto mounting nfs on my apple macbook trom a NAS server (Synology DS920) synchronising with rsync, but since an upgrade (still big Sur) it stopped working, `i changed from NFS to AFP and it was OK.
Then came Monterey and the working deteriorated:
In the mac finder I can still access the files on the NAS through AFP
In a terminal I can no longer access the AFP share, I have to use root privileges (sudo)
The rsync from the MAC (also only sudo) no longer creates files on the NAS with the correct user owner, so I have to do a chown for all the files/maps that are created from my rsync on the MAC
I do this of course on my linux PC
Is anybody having the same problems, and even better a solution.

I think I will install linux on my MAC as soon as the port of linux to the M1 macbook is available
AFP has been deprecated by Apple it seems, and NFS support was never very seamless.
Suggest you go with Samba (SMB) on your NAS, as it just works.

Paul van der Meij

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2021
I tried mount_smbfs but it makes little difference
- in the mac finder it works OK
- in a terminal it works just as bad ( only with sudo, and the user mapping does not work, every thing becomes owner root (e.g. rsync nas -> Mac))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.