Since upgrading to Yosemite, DVD player stopped working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobbylon, Dec 27, 2014.

1. bobbylon macrumors newbie

Apple support forum was beyond useless. So I am hoping for better luck here:

2011 Imac
    Yosemite 10.10.1

Since my upgrade to Yosemite:

The DVD player refuses to play a DVD when inserted. It ejects them fine. It is not reading them.

"Support Disc Not Available" and ejects the disk. These are store-bought, commercial movies. Not DVD R's
    Toast will not burn DVD's either.

CDs play and the CD burner works fine. Lens is not dirty. I blew air in and used a DVD lens cleaner.

After the latest Yosemite update, Now it just shows a question mark on the dock where the DVD icon was before.

From where I sit, since I upgraded to Yosemite, it has deleted the DVD player.

Any advice? Thanks

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Repair permissions - best to boot the recovery partition and repair from disk utility on that instead of the one the main drive.

Boot a backup clone (if you have one) of the old system to check the player if above doesn't help.

The current DVD Player is 5.7 - so, it's not in the apps folder?

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I've seen some problems with the dvd drive not reading disks go away with resetting the smc and pram

i have like 3 macs and have gone through 4 dvd drives, they just don't last very long. maybe thats why they stopped including them, because they didn't last very long

if you can read store bought media but cannot read recordable media, it means your tri laser pickup is bad

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18761