Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
As title states with watchOS 10.4 my AWUS will no longer unlock my Mac Studio. It does OK with my iPhone but not the Mac. I gone through the enable controls on the Mac numerous times, I have reset the watch and still it does not work. I have restarted the Mac numerous times. The Mac says it is unlocking with Apple Watch but it never happens and I have to enter its password. What I am not sure of is the AW, and the Macstudio both updated at the same time, could this be Sonoma 14.4, and not watchOS 10.4? I don't know how to check this.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I have had endless problems with unlocking my Mac with AW. In my case it had often failed with errors that the wifi is too weak (despite the router being in the same room and the signal showing full strength), and that my password was required to enable WatchOS to unlock the Mac (duh, then I wouldn't need the watch to unlock it).

It's happened over several iterations of both WatchOS and macOS, and in my case the option has even turned itself off a couple of times during updates.

Sadly, I can't tell you what's wrong or how to fix it, just sympathize and report that you're not the only one.

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have had endless problems with unlocking my Mac with AW. In my case it had often failed with errors that the wifi is too weak (despite the router being in the same room and the signal showing full strength), and that my password was required to enable WatchOS to unlock the Mac (duh, then I wouldn't need the watch to unlock it).

It's happened over several iterations of both WatchOS and macOS, and in my case the option has even turned itself off a couple of times during updates.

Sadly, I can't tell you what's wrong or how to fix it, just sympathize and report that you're not the only one.
I have read this here a bunch of times. It does not have the excuse of range either I am trying to unlock the Mac about maybe 2 feet away from it.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Something to try if have not yet tried.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
On the Mac, turn unlock with AW off, reboot, then turn it back on…
I have occasionally, eg 2-3 times per year, have issues but otherwise very reliable for me, MBA M1 on the latest public betas and Mac Studio on the latest Sonoma

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
On the Mac, turn unlock with AW off, reboot, then turn it back on…
I have occasionally, eg 2-3 times per year, have issues but otherwise very reliable for me, MBA M1 on the latest public betas and Mac Studio on the latest Sonoma
It is working again, Rebooting the Apple Watch and enabling it again after a restart on the Mac Studio seem to have done it.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This is what happens when you have a box full of S0-239 fall on a keyboard. I saw than it was gone didn't know until now were it all went.

8W8 ISDJHI 3Q4U4Y9TIV HIXJ NOFEJ1023E93U50V IB-BNL';MCLXGH

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.