since we have macbook air, do we really need iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kylelong100, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kylelong100 macrumors newbie

I am reluctant to buy an iphone 3g because the macbook air is better than the iphone.

I carry the macbook air with me all the time. I have 3g connection using a simple motorola razr.

Besides iphone is always online, is there any other reason to get an iphone if you have MBA with you?

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hmmm....the iPhone has GPS which the MacBook Air doesn't. It's probably also a better gaming platform ;)

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The fact that one is a phone and the other is a notebook perhaps?

4. n0de macrumors 6502

Because one has internet and voice service (nearly everywhere there is GSM service) and zero boot time; the other has a full size keyboard, screen and runs full applications (but needs to be near wifi).

5. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I realize the MBA is small, but it would still be a bit awkward to hold up to your face to make a call. :rolleyes:

6. watergun macrumors regular

I wouldn't use my MBA to access internet on the crowded subway rides...as small and as thin as it is. I would tho with iPhone 3G.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The iPhone is smaller lighter, easier just to pull out and check e-mail. It is also a Phone.

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

9. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I don't know about you guys, but I love listening through tunes on my laptop. While jogging.

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Kinda lost with this. :confused: :confused:

So, what you are saying is: "It's better to have one product to replace a completely different product that doesn't even fill the other products purpose?"

Not trying to sound mean, but one is a notebook, the other a phone. Apples and oranges.

11. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I do this, actually...though while walking, not jogging.

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I find your point of argument quite pathetic, a computer is different than a phone, can your MBA make calls? And don't feed me some Vonage crap or something like that. And can the MBA fit in the typical person's pocket? Does the MBA have a touch screen? Does the MBA have GPS? ect, ect, ect, it comes down to the point that the MBA is a computer and the iPhone is a phone (and an amazing one at that), these points are nearly endless.

13. accrane macrumors member

the iphone is nice because you can whip it out of your pocket anywhere such as the waiting room of a doctors office. You wouldnt take your air into such a place...

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :D:D you look really stupid holding a MBA up to your ear, get an i-Phone too;)

15. Goldcard macrumors regular

Well, should you keep your razr then if you have a macbook air?

According to your point, or lack of a point at all, no.

I hate to sound mean but every day I am amazed at the threads found in the macbook air forums (and iphone). After reading some of these I never fail to think that I will never get these two minutes of my life back again. If only there was some sort of warning in the title! :confused:

16. ducatidoc macrumors regular

ducatidoc

hee, hee, hee

of course we need both. without an iphone, how else can we watch youtube?

:-D

17. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Good one :D Thats probably why they didn't put flash on iPhones...

18. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I actually ask myself the opposite question...

Since I have a iPhone.. do I really need an MBA?

19. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

I'm gonna keep mine because I hate facial hair :D

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I am still going to carry the portable around. As long as AT&T are behind in their 3G rollout, and the iPhone's battery is better spent using the phone feature, and WiFi is still faster, and the MB screen is 13" not 3.5" there will always be that trusty companion Mac Book around.

21. grandeabc macrumors member

grandeabc

I have both an iMac and a MacBook Air. Now, here in Japan, I'm thinking to sell my MacBook Air to a friend, then I'll keep only the iMac and the new iPhone 3G. I bought the MacBook Air in february, and the iMac las Week, then I can assume that at home, I'm using 99% of time the iMac only. So, the MacBook Air is a little useless for me, and during the Week, I do not have time and place to boot my MacBook Air. Other hand, if I have an iPhone 3G I will YES use it at the office, or at the trains, etc. This means, the MacBook AIr can be used only a feel times duiring the Weekend, but it's not a good investment only for this purpose. If you use your MacBook Air at the Office, is another history...

22. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

good one!!! it must be a real *itch to constantly have to take out and put back an MBA in your front pant's pocket:cool:

23. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Not to be rude, but...

The question is stupid. Phone and computer. apples oranges.

24. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

But was bumping a thread that was a month dead really all that necessary to say that?

25. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

if you were lucky enough to snag netshare you now have a macbook air with 3G :)