Since we won't be getting skype for a while...then what?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by cdinca, Mar 9, 2010.

1. cdinca macrumors 6502

Anyone have a suggestion?

Here are my needs:
    my daughter has no plan on her iPhone(as she is 5).
    She makes skype calls to me, but that only works if I am on wifi and have skype launched.

I would like something that is similar to the free skype to skype feature, but has push notifications like icall, and works over 3g, and is free;)

2. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

jailbreak, and get 3g unrestrictor and backgrounder. problem solved. :eek:

3. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned upfront that I will not jailbreak.

4. doumbek macrumors member

A few extra steps but...

Have her email you first, then you can turn your skype on and all is well with the world.

A way around this is to purchase skype credits that way she can call your cell from skype. Or try to get a Google Voice number. You can choose your own number. That way you can pick a local number, and she can call you for free from a land line, and then it will bounce direct to your cell.

Not exactly the easiest methods, but I don't think AT&T is going to let voip run wild anytime soon. It's stuff like this that builds the case for jailbreaking. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I really do not want to jailbreak if at all possible.

5. big samm macrumors 65816

well no jailbreak no special skype feature...Sad but true... And to tell you the truth now that verizon have a exclusive deal with skype i doubt we will see push notification or always on mode anytime soon for the iphone...

6. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah...that is why I said we wouldn't get it for awhile. I read somewhere that their exclusivity deal was for 2 years+.

7. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

a few things:
    AT&T and apple already allow voip over 3g.

She can read, but not spell yet, so email is out. When she can compose an email, I'll buy her a phone plan.

She could certainly always call me from a landline, she just likes to call me from her iPhone.

None of this is to belittle your suggestions, only to explain why it doesn't quite work for my situation:)

thanks.

8. doumbek macrumors member

No problem. No offense taken:)
    Hope you get it working