Since we've said goodbye to skeuomorphism, can we say goodbye to the name "siri"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye.surgeon, Oct 31, 2013.

1. eye.surgeon, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Since J. Ives has kicked Skeuomorphism to the curb in iOS7, can we now admit that it's stupid to give a human name to the voice response technology that Apple calls Siri? It's about as annoying as those felt and wood icons. It's not a person, and we're not children, so why give it a name or gender? It's right up there on my pet peeve list with people who name their cars.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

These two things have literally nothing do with each other.

Not even a little.

That's Anthropomorphism, not Skeuomorphism.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You don't have to say Siri for the program to understand you.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Gotta call it something. What do you propose? Voice Assistant? Too many syllables.

6. Oui macrumors 6502

I don't know any human nor have I ever heard of a human being called Siri.

7. antiprotest, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Since we've said goodbye to skeuomorphism, can we say goodbye to the name "si...

Why is Siri necessarily a human name? It is something like an acronym, named after the Stanford Research Institute.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess I am just easy going 'cause things like this don't bother me in the least

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not that I follow celebrities or anything (because I don't), but Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' daughter may take exception to that.

BL.

10. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Siri is actually not a bad name,better than Theodore or frankoma but kinda beside the point.(voice control) sucked and Siri helps me daily like when I'm at work and instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket I just hit the button on my headphones and ask her to read my messages etc....or read me an interesting Wikipedia article it's a very nice feature which I was overlooking for a while but I would have no need for it if I could physically whip out my phone while at work but I can't so.......she does make me mad at times

11. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

That's Suri, not Siri.

12. Oui macrumors 6502

Uh LOL nice try but their daughters name is Suri its pronounced different

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably because it's not even related to skeuomorphism. Probably because it's not a human name either (might want to read up on where the technology name of Siri comes from). Probably because there is no gender (you can change voices in settings).

14. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Actually, Siri is a real name (although it isn't really relevant in this case.) One of my teachers in high school was named Siri. :)

----------

And while we're at it, why don't we get rid of her smart-alec responses? That's just personality skeuomorphism, right? Oh and the gender skeuomorphism. Let's get rid of that, too. Give Siri-- excuse me, iPhone Voice Assistant a gender-neutral voice.

Actually, get rid of the voice, as it's just human vocal cord skeuomorphism. We don't need to hear iPhone Voice Assistant, as most of the time anything we ask it gets us a "OK, HERE YOU GO" response, followed by making us look at the screen to see the results. Actually, talking to my phone could be considered human eardrum skeuomorphism. Just have us type stuff in.

Actually, calling it an "Assistant" is skeuomorphic in nature. I don't think I even know what this word means anymore, but it just burns me up when people talk to their phone and refer to it as an "Assistant."

Actually... I'm sorry, what? Oh! I'm so sorry, I thought this was the thread to post needless, trivial changes Apple should make just because the icons now look like they were made out of construction paper.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sure, it can very well be, but the Siri that's there in iOS doesn't come from it, which does make a difference at least as far as what the OP was talking about.

16. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Siri was named after SRI International which has been around for over 65 years.

http://www.sri.com/work/timeline-in...?timeline=computing-digital#!&innovation=siri

Apple most likely will not change the name just because people don't know of it's origins and think the name Siri was created to give the feature a human name.

17. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The name Siri is a play on SRI, where the technology was developed. http://www.sri.com

So I hope the name is not dropped! It's a small tip-of-the-hat to an important place in Silicon Valley.

UPDATE: Ah, I see user sumsingwong beat me to that point. [tips hat]