Singapore confirmed to get iPhone on 22nd August

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by okatidubi, Aug 12, 2008.

1. okatidubi macrumors regular

Just received the news from SingTel. Happy news!

[​IMG]

2. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

They were launched in 6 hours in Switzerland before they were in the United States, yet I'm still waiting to get one...completely sold out >.<...8 more weeks apparently. :mad:

But good for you :)

3. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

due to morality laws, you'll have to get 2 canings for each gigabyte

4. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Old news! I think it was announced last week that the 22nd would be the release date. I wonder what the plans are like though? Tie-downs? Locked phones? Country or carrier locked? Pay as you go? What a bloody annoyance -- what happens when I want to use the phone overseas? Given SingTel's monopolistic tendencies I'm not confident that they'll play nice on this.

5. okatidubi thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I understand, it was not confirmed as there were no official news from SingTel. Also, if I'm not wrong, Singapore prohibits phones to be locked to a certain carrier... not sure about this though.

6. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

And you'll have to be waterboarded for exceeding fair use limits? Talk about going overboard.

7. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

Singtel usually never lock any phones... if the iPhone is locked, it will be first. A more likely situation I can think is they will do it like Hutchinson 3 in Hong Kong where they sell it with 2 years contract but still unlocked :)

9. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

That's one hurdle less I guess. The contract tie-down will be another. If you're spending most of your time out of the country and would like some flexibility to pay only for what you use, then having no such option is going to be a real pain. Hopefully they'll be sensible about it.