Single 300GB VelociRaptor or 2x150GB VelociRaptors in a Software RAID0?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brand, Apr 15, 2009.

1. brand macrumors 601

brand

The 80GB VelociRaptor died yesterday in my Mac Pro at home and I need to replace it. I am trying to decide between a single 300GB VelociRaptor or a pair of 150GB VelociRaptors in a software RAID0 for the OS and applications. All of my data is another drive plus there is a Time Machine drive installed along with a Drobo FW800 connected. I know the added risk involved with a RAID0 and am not concerned about that.

If I do go with the RAID0 I was thinking I might get the Pro Caddy 2 and set up the RAID in that. Then in the future I would like to setup a RAID5 with the 4 hard drive sleds.

Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated.

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I'd be hesitant to put two hot HDDs in the optical bay, since it has reduced cooling compared to the actual hard drive bays in the Pro. I have no experience with installing drives up there though, so if I'm talking out my arse, just let me know. ;)

3. CaptainJeff macrumors member

For OS and applications, replace it with a smaller (due to the cost) Intel SSD drive. The performance numbers people have been seeing with these things is amazing.

Article with benchmark numbers