Single adapter Thunderbolt to old Cinema

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Payton, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

I've crafted a little diagram to help with my question, which is… does a device like this exist?

I currently run an older MacBook Pro + 23'' Apple Cinema HD. As most of you probably know, the Cinema HD has a 2-port USB & 2-port FW400 hub in the back of the display.

I plan on buying the new 27'' iMac, and I plan on hooking up the 23'' Cinema.
    I know I can simply buy Apple's Mini-DP to DVI adapter to make this happen, along with a thunderbolt to USB/Firewire hub, but I'd love to be able to use one adapter/device (and one Thunderbolt port) to plug in the Cinema Display's DVI, USB, and Firewire cables to the new iMac.

I've searched around and haven't found such a device, so I'm doubtful one exists, but I thought I'd post here anyway. Seems like there'd be a niche market for owners of Thunderbolt Macs who also own and continue to use Apple's DVI Displays.

[​IMG]

2. Payton thread starter macrumors regular

Payton

After almost 400 views, I'm going to assume that anyone who might have known about such a device has already seen this thread, but I'm going to bump it just once.

Alternative solutions are welcomed, too… I'd just love to be able to use the old Cinema's hub without using up all of the thunderbolt ports on my new iMac.

Thanks all.

3. Jurisprudence macrumors member

As the OP said sorry to bump this but I'm in something of a similar boat. Only difference is I have a 27" thunderbolt iMac and 2 ACD 23" displays. My FW 800 port is already used. Anyone any ideas apart from Belkins €300 dock. I don't have €600 left in the kittie for 2 unless I start selling organs.