Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlynH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Hi there,

Just copied my iTunes/Apple Music files from my NAS to a new (to me) 2019 MacBook Pro 16” running Sonoma.

For some reason it seemed to lose the network connection part way through so I deleted the already copied files from the standard location on the Mac and started again.

This worked successfully in that when I compared the directory structure and music files on the NAS it mirrored that on the Mac.

However when opening the Music app on the Mac it shows many albums where although the album is listed once when you open it the songs in it are duplicated twice despite their only being one physical copy of the music files on the SSD.

It’s as if the local index file(s) retained the first aborted attempt and then added those songs a second time when I copied the files across.

I have spent lots of time curating my library so am a little nervous at tampering with index files but is there a safe way I could ‘reindex’ my music collection to reflect accurately the contents of my music folder?

Delete the index file(s) and let the Music app rebuild them maybe?

If so what are they called and where are they stored?

I would even be prepared to delete my entire 12k song music collection on the Mac and copy them across from the NAS again but don’t want to end up with three duplicate songs in each album showing!

I don’t subscribe to Apple Music (been very wary since Match completely screwed up my carefully curated library many years ago) although my music collection does contain some purchased songs/albums amongst my own ripped collection.

Any hints/tips/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited:

GlynH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Just following up on this...after much messing around holding the Option key and running Music trying to Choose or Create a new library, deleting the Music Library.musiclibrary file, copying older iTunes Library.it and iTunes Music Library.mxl from the NAS to the Mac etc. etc. I threw in the towel, deleted the whole Music folder on the Mac including the musiclibrary.musiclibrary, emptied the Trash and rebooted.

I then copied all of my music from the NAS to the Mac once again and this time all was good so I'm sorted.

-=Glyn=-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.