Single display mode while lid is open in OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Demigod Mac, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

I discovered in Boot Camp mode that my unibody MBP runs a good 8˚C cooler when I have the lid open while playing intensive 3D games. In the nVidia control panel I can disable the built-in display and use my external monitor only. Is there a utility or command that would let me do this in OS X, or at least a way to disable the second screen's extra desktop space?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Any particular reason you'd want to disable the second screen, instead of just letting it sit on the desktop? You can turn down the resolution if you just want to scrounge up more GPU power.

Btw, thank you for validating my point the MBP's cooling system is severly compromised in clamshell mode. It's kind of obvious from looking at the hinge, but some people here don't realize that.

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Close the lid when it's asleep, plug in the display, then plug in the external mouse/keyboard. When the display awakens, open up the lid of the MacBook Pro. the display will remain off. Voila!!

4. baditkoff macrumors member

Would anybody know if the MB has the same temperature issue as the MBP clamshell mode?

5. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Haha! You are right! Thanks!