Single Drive vs Raid 0 for DV editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psu2010, Feb 11, 2008.

1. psu2010 macrumors newbie

Basically my main question is will I see a major performance boost if I use Raid 0 over a single drive. And will the boost be enough to warrant the extra expense/risk for using Raid. The two drives I'm looking at are....Other suggestions are way more than welcome.

Single Drive

Raid 0 Drive

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. psu2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cydspal macrumors member

I will bump you up because I am also looking for an external drive and can't seem to get my mind around Raid vs. non raid.

4. psu2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thanks for all the help:rolleyes:....went with the single drive hope it does the trick

5. jtblueberry macrumors regular

you should be more concerned about connection speed. If you could attach via eSATA that would be a big bump in speed vs firewire.
    I would recommend connecting two single hard drives via eSATA and set them up in a mirrored raid 1. That will give you the most speed and reliability for the cost (raid 1 is faster but does not justify extra cost and less reliability in my mind).
    I like to use internal drives in an external enclosure...you can find ones that are basically the same as the one you're looking at.
    eSATA upgrade would be better investment than raid 0.

6. psu2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I actually paid the extra 4 bucks to get the option for eSATA which was really pretty cheap for some reason? But now I just need an eSATA card for my iMac. If those exsist. Thanks for your help though:)