iPad mini Single Hairline Crack

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sora, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Sora macrumors 6502

Sora

That was what they wrote as the problem and reason for a free iPad Mini Verizon cellular replacement - "single hairline crack".

The genius said it was the best type of cracked screen to have because it was covered under Apple's warranty. They noted I did have Apple Care Plus but that was for accidental abuse.

Within 5 minutes they brought a replacement, which I assume was remanufactured. They popped out my sim and sent me on my way.

Wish I would have taken a picture of my screen to post here, but it was a single crack that traversed the bottom right corner of the screen.

How did this occur? The iPad mini slid off my couch and hit a porcelain bowl face first that was on the floor. The bowl was a goner, the screen had a crack. The mini faired better from that interaction.

I was fully prepared to pay $49 as required, but I guess I lucked out.
    Oh, I got the iPad mini December 2012.

Hope this helps someone out there who may have had the same unfortunate incident that befell me.

Cheers.

2. iPhone12 macrumors newbie

I have a hairline crack going from my earpiece to the top, only about 1cm long. Wonder if I can get a replacement

3. Sora thread starter macrumors 6502

Sora

I don't doubt they will replace it - so long as your still under the first year of warranty.
    You cant cite the "single hairline crack" as a precedent setting case. I'm sure Apple is fairly consistent in their application of replacement protocols.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I had the exact same experience as the OP. Got my wife's dropped mini replaced gratis with a single hairline crack, the genius' exact words.

I didn't have AC+ and was prepared to pony up $229. Needless to say I was over the moon with the single crack policy.