Single iTunes library, multiple locations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by epicwelshman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Ok, so here's the deal. I have an 80GB drive in my MacBook, which is currently where my iTunes lib resides.

I also have a 250GB external drive. What I want to do is keep my music on my laptop, but store movies and TV shows on my external drive, yet still be able to access them along with my music... know what I'm saying?

Is this possible?

2. macaco74 macrumors regular

you should be able to store your music conent locally (continue your current process of music management) and your video content externally. When dragging and dropping your videos from the external location, ensure you are holding down the option key - this essentially creates a pointer to your video files while your music still has the library location set in the preferences.

Of course, in order to watch the video (other than having synced it to your portable device or apple tv) is to make sure your external drive is powered up and running.

If you do not hold the option key when dropping it into your library it will proceed to copy the file to your designated itunes library location.