Single or two port USB adapter with charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ffnc1020, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ffnc1020 macrumors member

2. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Tried Apple's then another finally totally happy with this hub Amazon.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What's wrong with the Apple digital AV adapter? A bit pricey but it works flawlessly. Many people have found them on ebay at about half retail.

Otherwise I would probably go for one of the Anker options; depending on whether I wanted just usb or usb/hdmi. http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Deliver...usb-c hub&qid=1461764730&ref_=sr_1_16&sr=8-16

Also hoping to see the hydradock roadie - the portable version of the hydradock which includes usb, hdmi ethernet and charging in one brick which is my holy grail (well actually the holy grail would be to have that all integrated into a power brick something like the Anker power iq device recently released. Then you carry 1 device that gives you all your power and connection needs!

4. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Apple is too limiting I needed more USB ports

5. deeddawg, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

deeddawg macrumors 604

In case you hadn't heard, Apple still makes and sells other laptop models. :D If you truly need more ports regularly enough that a hub such as the one you linked doesn't do the job, then choose an Air or a MBP. Nobody's forcing anyone to choose an option that doesn't fit their needs. If someone still goes ahead and buys a Miata when they need to haul their spouse and six kids around, well that's not really the Miata's fault now is it?

Honestly though I think in some instances the ports hangup is the same as the hangups people had when Apple dropped optical drives, or when Apple dropped floppy drives. In five weeks of constant use of my rMB I've yet to need more than the $11 Nonda USB3 type A to type C adapter; it's handled my $7 USB3 SD card reader just fine. I've mostly grown out of needing to plug a bunch of stuff into a computer these days.

Edit: I get that some current (not legacy) workflows do truly require multiple ports on a regular basis while mobile. Such instances probably aren't a good fit for the rMB as it doesn't seem designed to satisfy that need.

6. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Nooo... when at my desk I like multi-USB ports and HDMI (and even wired ethernet) hookrd up to large monitor, TimeMachine, CCC or data drives. Yet if I want I have luxury of 12" 2 lb tablet/laptop in my easy chair. Which MBP is not.

Think of it as an updated PowerBook Duo 230/280 for today.

7. ffnc1020 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys but those are all multi port hubs. I actually got the Aukey one which is enough for me on the desk. What I am trying to find is an adapter that only have one USB port so I can plug in my xbox controller while charging the laptop.

Yeah that's the same thing I found, maybe that's the only option now.

Nothing is wrong with the Apple AV adapter but I already got something like that I just need a minimum port that only have one usb port.