single partitioned hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JelleV, Feb 20, 2012.

1. JelleV macrumors newbie

Hello, i have a small problem.
    i'm trying to install windows on my mac ( with bootcamp) but i get the error that i need a single partitioned disk. Ok, so i go to "disk utility" and try to change it, but i see that "partition layout" is locked. Do i have to clear all data ? ( and how? ), can i make it single partitioned then? and how ?
    thnx :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you have any current backups or an external HDD you could clone Mac OS X onto?
    Because Mac OS X wants you to do that, then start from the installation medium (Restore DVD or Recovery Partition) and properly format the internal HDD and then reinstall Mac OS X, as there is not enough continuous space for BCA to make a partition of.
    You can circumvent that by cloning the internal HDD to an external HDD, boot from that, erasing the internal HDD, then cloning back onto it, then booting from it and run BCA again.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find dozens of similar threads with solutions:
    [​IMG]

3. JelleV thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i've backed up my macbook on an external HDD. So what i do now is boot from the external one, erase everything on the internal, restore it and use bootcamp again?

4. JelleV thread starter macrumors newbie