Single Quad Core - Can You Add Another Quad Later?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.PS, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if the mobo with the single quad core processor has room for a second cpu if one were to add it in the future?

2. G4DP macrumors 65816

Officially NO

The official line from Apple, in the UK anyway as of this morning was NO you cannot. The Quad 2.8 will ship with a single socket motherboard. If you want 2, you have to buy 2 from them.

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

On the flip side, people are reporting only two SKUs for systemboards - one for the 2.8GHz/3.0GHz and one for the 3.2GHz. As such, that would require both to be dual-sockets.

We'll likely only truly know once a review site or a forum member gets a single-CPU system and can pop the case.

4. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah ok, hopefully the mobos have two sockets so you can add another at a later time if you need to.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think it is safe to assume that the motherboard will be the same.

The reason they say it is not possible is that Apple does not offer that service and the fact that the processor is not user-replaceable.

6. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Makes sense. Would it be hard to add another processor later? Just buying it off new egg and slapping it in?

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Sure, the problem being finding the proper heatsink ;)

8. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

dangit - that sounds like such a waste - if we are able to upgrade our RAM why not add a CPU.... anybody buy one yet?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd like to learn this as well from someone that purchases a single socket Mac Pro. It shouldn't be that hard to get a second processor when their price drops. ($797 when buying a 1,000!) You might want to be a friend of an AASP to get a heatsink but there are a few other locations online. I'm forget the URLs though. :(

In the single processor Power Mac G5's Apple removed the second socket and all the interconnects for it but it was the same motherboard otherwise.

It wouldn't be that surprising to see them remove the second socket to spite us. :rolleyes:

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

In the end it is going to be a much more expensive upgrade than the $500 downgrade saves you in the beginning.

$797 for the processor and then the custom heatsink. Hardly ideal.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The discount Apple gives for taking a processor off isn't really worth it in the end. If both sockets are there then you could sell the 2.8 GHz w/1600 MHz FSB for two slower quads w/1333 MHz FSB connections. :rolleyes:

Yes, really. The 2.8 GHz processor can fetch enough to get two slower quads.

13. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

do you really need the exact same heatsink though? Why can't you just use an off the shelf CPU cooler like the Arctic 7 or something? Someone will work out which models fit the case/board/cpu it isn't much of an issue really.

I really hope apple don't disable the second slot - i think that would be extremely disappointing for a lot of people. It hardly fits in with the 'expandable' label apple seems to be attaching to this revision of the line. If peoples requirements go up over the years, or more and more apps can take advantage of 8 cores, 3 years down the line customers will want to upgrade. Buying a system like this is not to be a yearly purchase! I, like many, will hoping to get 5+ years out of this new box! If i can put a second chip in, in 3 years then there is no reason this MP couldn't last 7 years IMO

14. sweedigel macrumors member

sweedigel

The Mac Pro developer note doesn't give any informations about the motherboard on 1-CPU configs.. Maybe because it will be the same as for 2-CPUs configs ?
    Anyway, it would be the first time i see an Intel motherboard for Xeon with only one socket on it. Hope we'll get users feedback in a few about it.

15. milo macrumors 604

Do we really have that info from a reliable source?

Anyone get their hands on a quad yet?

Obviously it would be dumb to do that upgrade right now. But it would be nice to have the option to add the second chip down the road when prices have dropped.

How did apple do the old configs of mac pros? One quad chip, or two dual core chips?

16. sweedigel macrumors member

sweedigel

Two dual

17. kps macrumors regular

On the Technical Specifications page, Apple advertises all Mac Pros as having "1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside buses". I think I have the right to assume that the second one is fully present and not purely decorative.

18. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

19. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

!!!!! I think I may be buying one this weekend and I REALLY would love to know soon..... SOOON!! :)

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think even if the single core motherboard had two sockets getting the heat sink would be costly.

21. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

Does anyone know how threads are allocated to the different cores by OS X or applications?

What I mean is if you have a machine with a single quad core chip all 4 cores are on one frontside bus. If you have two chips they each have there own bus. If the application you are running uses say core 3 or 4 cores does only one physical chip get all the load or is it split between cores on the different front side buses?

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

Why are the heatsinks such an issue? (I'm ignorant and asking, not disagreeing)

Are they special or different from normal desktop processor heatsinks? I thought this "Xeon" version was basically identical to the non-Xeon version of the chip. Does the Apple version require a beefier heatsink? Do the Xeon's not come with them like retail desktop chips do?

Why is the heatsink a problem later on?

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple uses a huge heatsink for the Mac Pro.

http://powermax.download-files.net/macpro2/processor_sinc.jpg

24. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

Anyone bought a single quad and can take some pictures for us?

25. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

anybody know how much of performance loss one cpu will be? I'm not doing any video/image stuff, i mainly code and would like to play games. From what i know about gaming on windows, is that most if not all games won't use all 4 cores let alone 2 quad cores. I could be completely wrong, but anybody have any insight to this, thanks