Single sign-on is live and working

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jdillings, Sep 16, 2016.

1. jdillings macrumors 65816

I noticed that the Scripps Networks apps (HGTV, DIY, Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Travel Channel) under "Recently Updated" had a note saying they were updated to be compatible with tvOS 10. So I authenticated the HGTV app with my Vue credentials. I then went to authenticate DIY and got this:

[​IMG]

It works as you expect.

2. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I have Playstation Vue also, and received the same option. Unfortunately after that it prompted me to sign in.

3. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i cant get that screen to pop up for me

4. inkahauts macrumors regular

Well where in settings for the appletv do you go to input your sign in credentials?

5. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Don't have it as of yet so it must be in beta? I checked and I have 10.0 and no new updates available.

6. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I was sooooo excited... what a let down....

7. rayward macrumors 68000

Yeah. This was touted in the tvOS update, and it's nowhere to be found.

8. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

From Apple.com:

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 10.14.42 PM.png

Still officially "Coming soon"

9. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

How did the OP of this thread get that message then on his Apple TV? from the screenshot he posted it looks like he got single sign-on working on his apple tv

10. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

My guess is that the OP has the beta version.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My guess was the App was pre-release in error. And has been fixed since no one has duplicated the OP page.

12. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

oooooo... hopefully this is in 10.1 and they held it off to give the programmers time to update their apps for tvOS 10.

13. winstars macrumors member

All I know is that I stalled buying two APV 4's for my boss as long as I could. Until yesterday.
    Yesterday I spent the better part of 3 hours setting them up. Unfortunately for me, the cable company he has (Optimum) wouldn't send a cookie to my computer like my company (DISH) does so I had to enter the user name and password for EVERY TV type app I activated, for two ATV 4's...

With my luck, SSO will be released later today...

14. jdag macrumors 6502a

I gave up a while ago trying to keep signed into each app on each of my 3 AppleTVs. They timeout at seemingly random times anyhow and require re-entry way way way too often. So now I just open an app and hope I don't need to authenticate.

SSO is so overdue, not just on AppleTV, but on all streaming players. IMO, it is the most frustrating part of using these devices and trying to explain how to use to people unfamiliar with the authentication processes. I completely gave up on trying to help my mother-in-law and parents. Heck, they didn't even know that they HAD accounts with their cable providers!

15. inkahauts macrumors regular

Thank goodness for Siri dictation and the remote app for entering passwords. Sso is as you say very overdo at this point.

16. winstars macrumors member

When doing my sisters ATV 3 a few years ago, she said "that can't be the only way you do it"

Unfortunately I had to say yes.

17. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Not really helpful, at least for the apps I've used. Most of them require going to a website with your computer or phone.

18. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

Confused? You have a PlayStation Vue app on your Apple TV? I don't even see one in the App Store.

19. 2010mini macrumors 68040

No he means he has PS Vue service. And uses that to authenticate the network apps.

20. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

21. inkahauts macrumors regular

Yeah those are annoying but at least I only have to type in the web address and the code. I'm surprised they haven't dont a at code to just scan that prompts for your credentials instead of making you type a web address and activation code.

22. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I WISH the Playstation Vue app was available. That will be a glorious day. lol

23. chrisadams macrumors newbie

I didn't notice if i got a prompt or not but somehow when I looked down to my iPhone to go to the cooking channel activation page when I looked up to get the access code it logged itself in so maybe it used the credentials from the other active Scripps apps? Never saw another prompt or anything.

24. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I saw the original screen last night for multiple of the Watch Pages. But after Allow I had to do the old login style. But did not go further. Regarding the prior post, in the past if you login to 1 of the Apps serviced my the same company then it satisfied the others. That could be what happened.

25. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I had this work even before iOS10. It already (sometimes) works between apps from the same media company. I can't remember if it was the Disney (ABC, ESPN, etc) apps or one of the other groups, but once I logged into one, they all seemed to work. It's not the true single sign on that's still coming, but somehow multiple apps from the same provider can access the logon credentials from the other ones.