Single sign on

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ajiuo, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Anyone think this will become active after the event Thursday? This will be such a nice feature... I'm getting so sick of having to activate network apps every 1-3 weeks.

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Was there a reason you thought it would be discussed at a laptop event?

3. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there any reason that you think that you know what will be included at this event?

Yeah... It's highly speculated that Apple will show off it's new MacBooks, but Apple has given no physical indication of what the event is. They could easily use it to give quick updates on other platforms as well as showing off the new MacBooks.

The AirPods are also expected to be released on Thursday.. and I wouldn't be surprised if iOS 10.1 drops on Thursday as well.

4. benjitek, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

iOS 10.1 dropped today.

While SSO will be a neat feature, I doubt they'd time the release of it for a product announcement event. They announced it once already, when it's ready it'll come out in a tvOS update independant of an Apple press event.

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Still says coming soon even after today's update.

IMG_0676.PNG

6. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Just updated to 10.0.1 and no single sign on that I can see. I had to update my sign on info for NBCSN and no option for single sign on for all apps.

7. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I can hardly wait for this feature. A lot of times, I want to just delete the app rather than go thru that process.

9. calvz macrumors member

I've been wanting a Playstation Vue app for a while now but something just occurred to me. What if Vue is simply integrated into the Watch List app? Given Apple's recent cooperation with Sony it could be possible.

10. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

You were right. They just mentioned it.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

12. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

13. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

OK, so, once single-sign-on is implemented, and if an app you use doesn't support it then you can contact the app developer and ask them to support it. However it is in the best interests of the app developers to support the feature, so you'll probably see the majority supporting it.

14. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

I'm thinking the issue is going to be my cable company. The NBC app lets you watch shows the next day on the App if you log in through your cable tv provider. However, I can't see the show for a week because of Bright House cable tv I log in with. The show is unlocked on the app, but it just doesn't load until a week has passed.

So not only will the app need to be supported, but the cable provider will also have to support it for apps that you use your cable tv credentials to sign in.

15. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Content owners and providers are notoriously stubborn when it come to streaming distribution/support. There are many pay tv providers who still do not support authentication of certain network apps. My belief is they still view "over the top" boxes as a threat to their core business.... renting set top boxes.