Single SSD Windows/10.9 Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jakesaunders27, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,
    I have a 1,1 Mac Pro running 10.8, I would like to go to mavericks but at the same time I would also like to install 8.1, before I do I would like to get a SSD. Could I get a 1TB and partition it in half and install 10.9 on one half and 8.1 on other half? Or does bootcamp have to be on a separate disk?

Thanks

Jake

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Actually, Boot Camp requires it be on the same disk, so you're good to go with how you want to do it.

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I have had both OS (10.9/7x64) on a single SSD in my 3,1, but having got my Velocity Solo X2 I had huge problems booting from it in SATA 3. Ended up getting a second SSD and sticking it on top of the other with thermal pads and using the X2 second port with optical power and now I both boot SATA 3 fine.

With a 1,1 it should work fine together in sled 1 or a second in sled 2, but 8.1 may be best booted with EFI with a seperate SSD to enable all four sleds but your Mac has EFI32 and not EFI64. I suggest reading that long EFI windows boot thread further down the forum and the Mac Pro sub-forum for solutions to it as I have only ever installed 7 on my clients. The New Mac Pro was my very first installation of 8.1 which does run it perfectly and extremely fast!

----------

Incorrect dude, on a Mac Pro you can install bootcamp on sled 2 with OSX in sled 1. 3/4 do not work unless you patch the MBR within OSX and enable AHCI in windows via the registry unless you install via native EFI on a separate disk and forget bootcamp just installing the drivers and choosing which OS to boot via the option key on boot.

4. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Thanks for your posts I will have a read of the windows thread for 1,1

Cheers