Single thread/ multi thread

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by afrowq, Mar 12, 2009.

1. afrowq macrumors member

afrowq

I keep seeing all these posts about benchmark results, and they have arbitrary number "scores" that mean absolutely nothing to me. There seems to be this recurring message about how the new Macpros perform single-threaded tasks about the same as the previous gen of Macpros, however in multi-threaded tasks the new Pros shine.

How do I know if a task is single-threaded or multi-threaded? I do a lot of rendering video filters, generators, effects, etc. in Final Cut. Even something as (seemingly) simple as generating scrolling credits takes forever to render.

Is video rendering a multi-threaded task? Will I see time significant time savings in rendering with the new Pro machines? I'm currently using a G5 dual 2.0 machine.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

IIRC, there's been comments scattered about the forum on which applications are single/multi threaded.

A search might help. :) You might also want to check the software vendor's site. It's likely listed somewhere, like FAQ, or support forums. Worst case, send an email, or even call if a phone number's available. ;)

The information you seek would be out there somewhere. GOOGLE is your friend. :p

As a last resort, if you still can't find it, try starting a new post asking about specific programs.

Sorry I don't know the specifics of those type of applications.

Good luck. :)

3. afrowq thread starter macrumors member

afrowq

Thanks. Google is indeed a friend, but not one as reliable as talking to another person on macrumors.

Anyone else wanna give a stab at it?