Single-User Mode with a new iMac (How?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RonArt, Nov 23, 2010.

1. RonArt macrumors member

RonArt

Sounds simple but...

I just purchased a new 27" iMac last week and can't get the new Bluetooth keyboard (that came with it) to boot in Single-User Mode.

I know if it were older and used a dongle it wouldn't do SUM (since it wouldn't load until later in the startup process), but I was told this new system would do SUM without having to get my cabled keyboard out every time I want to do SUM or a Safe Boot.

Any ideas?

I know I can call tech support but I try to avoid that because of hold times, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Ron

2. bigbadbenny macrumors newbie

3. Teòma macrumors newbie

You can go to /library/preferences/System Configuration/com.apple.boot.plist

Change

Code:
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string>
    to

Code:
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-s</string>
    Save it to your desktop and copy it into the directory mentioned above. Next time you reboot it will boot in single user mode. When you're finished do the same and remove it.

4. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

Temporarily using keyboard shortcuts

bigbadbenny and Teoma,

Perhaps I am missing something, but it appears that both of your posts show I can permanently boot in SUM until I decide not to do so.

What I want to do is simply use my new iMac's keyboard as I was told it could be used. That is... hold down the standard keys during startup to __temporarily__ boot into SUM or SafeBoot. That's all.

Anyway you know of how to do this?

5. Teòma macrumors newbie

Do you by any chance have a 2007 or 2009 wireless keyboard? If so press and hold the key combinations right when you hear the startup chime.

6. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

2010 keyboard

Teoma,

I have the new wireless keyboard that came with my July 2010 27" iMac.

7. norb3rto macrumors newbie

Hello RonArt,

I'm having the same issue with my July 2010 27" iMac and the bluetooth keybord that came with it :(

Did you found a way to solve the problem ?

Thank you.

Norberto

8. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

Found a solution

Norberto,

Yes I found a solution so it is possible to use the startup key commands.

Apple should be ashamed of themselves that neither have they posted anywhere the solution, nor did their tech support know of a way. Pathetic.

What is necessary is for you to push the power button on the right side of the iMac keyboard immediately after the screen turns gray, but before the Apple logo appears.

Your timing has to be perfect (within approx. a 1-2 second window) so if you don't get it the first time, don't give up. It does work.

9. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

I *think* if you do a reboot the keyboard still stay active and you just do the commands as normal.

10. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

Needs power key to be clicked.

Just rebooting won't allow the use of command keys during startup... at least for me. But hitting the power button at just the right time will.