single user or family pack?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigben334, Oct 16, 2007.

1. bigben334 macrumors regular

i understand the whole 'license' situation with single user and family pack, but what actually happens if me and my friends split the family pack?...when i take my computer in for service will the mac geniuses know or something?..can i actually be caught for doing this? lol...like whats the risk?

2. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Your question expressly violates Leopard's terms and conditions. Do not expect an answer to your question.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, you'll have to ask that somewhere else

4. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

5. projectle macrumors 6502

Well, in theory at least...

You would be breaking the law as a family pack is limited as a "per-household" thing.

Apple does not implement a product key system, though.

I guarantee you, you will feel very, VERY bad if you decide to do this, though!

6. bigben334 thread starter macrumors regular

many people do this though right?..like honestly though how could me and my friends be caught?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Let's see, there is forwarding the link to this thread to www.bsa.org and and e-mail to piracy@apple.com :p

HINT: don't admit to less than legal shenanigans on forums, they are admissible in court.

8. bigben334 thread starter macrumors regular

i never admitted to anything, im just asking questions..besides the fact that i have to buy the family pack anyway because me and my brother live in the same household, each owning a macbook...i just want to know if i would be caught if i were to extend the other 3 licenses to friends?...apparantly i wouldn't but i never said i was going to do it..

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Ok, but when I buy my copy of Leopard, I can use the one copy to install on both my MacBook and my Mac Pro can't I?

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Just buy a damn single license and put it on whatever machine(s) you own. ;)

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

apples' software licenses are typically "single use" and say that you are only allowed to have them installed on one computer at a time.....so, no, according to the license, you aren't allowed to install on both your macbook and Mac Pro

12. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

With the only exception being to purchase a family license :)

13. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

All versions are the same DVD... There is no way for apple to tell if you did this. You could do the same thing with a single license DVD.

Of course this is illegal and is NOT recommended. :rolleyes:

14. bigben334 thread starter macrumors regular

Wait

WAITTTTTT...so the family pack and the single pack are the same thing?..just one is supposedly 'allowed' to be installed 5 times and one 'isn't allowed' to be installed more than once?..and theres no product keys or serial numbers?!...this must be a joke, apple cant be this stupid..can they?

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

They work on the honor system, no serials, no nothing.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That is correct.

And most folks tend to honor that system that is why Apple can keep the price as low as it is.

Another benefit is that there are not the plethora of versions like with Windows XP and Vista. Just one simple version to install. Really nice.

17. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Perhaps slightly off topic, but IMHO Apple provides a fantastic OS at a very reasonable price (full boat for 129.00 and FIVE licenses for 199.00!) at release... that is truly worth paying the price of admission for. First for an excellent product and secondly because they are FAIR about their pricing. Look at what XP Pro and gawd forbid Vista Ultimate (i.e. the polished turd) cost. The arrogance of selling an inferior product at a bloated price is just... sad. And apples to apples I'm comparing Retail to Retail prices here.

Of course, it follows that the best way to run Vista is pirated, but we'll save that for another discussion... :D

I think I'll end up buying a family pack even though I only have 2 macs (my C2D Al 2.4 and a G5 17")... I see an older macbook pro in my future so that will ensure I'll have a license ready for that as well.

18. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

The price is not low because Apple users are honest. They are just as dishonest if not more then the PC guys...

The OS prices are so cheap because every time you buy a new OS you are UPGRADING...

If you own a mac, that means you already paid for the OS that came on it...

Simple as that. :D

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Being in both camps first hand, I see a lot more in the PC camp. Granted the Apple camp is not perfect by a long shot, but illegal use of OS and applications is not as common.

Disagree.

The differences between Jaguar, Tiger and Leopard are worthy of being called new OS's under the Mac OS X family of OS'es.

But if you insist they are the same, then you can apply the same logic to Windows versions from Windows 2K to XP to Vista. These were all upgrades and not new OS'es.

Regardless of how you compare, Microsoft still charges more. Plus you have to deal with the licensing codes, which by itself is a big hint as to how honest folks are when purchasing their products.

20. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Check out some torrent sites... There is a plethora of illegal Mac Software out there. And if you consider that the PC market share is a lot more than Apple's... Well you get the point.

I think you misread my original comment. I never said they were the same OS. (Ya they are all similar, but they all have major improvements) I just said that every person out there with a Mac computer has already paid for a Mac OS when they bought the computer.

Again, Microsoft uses license codes because someone could build a computer, and just download/borrow the OS with out every paying for it.

With Apple everyone who owns a mac has paid for the original OS on there.

Apple figures it is not worth the grief to their customers to startup a licensing code system.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No doubt.

But PC stuff is so much more easily available. Plus, I can get original CDs or DVDs of PC software as well. Then again, I am in the orient which is where everything can be found.

Just like everyone who has purchased a Windows computer. And if they purchased the computer around when Tiger was released, it probably has Windows XP home edition. So if a Windows user wants to upgrade to Windows XP Pro or Vista, they have to pay the piper, er. Microsoft.

But in the case of Vista, it cost more then purchasing Leopard.

...and if you know a place that you can get the full version of Vista (Ultimatum I believe) for cheaper than $129, please let me know as I would like to purchase a cheap legitimate copy.

So I have 6 older Macs running Tiger. I decide to upgrade to Leopard. I get an individual version and put it on 6 computers. What's the real difference? In both cases, I've installed a copy of the OS that I didn't pay for.

Just like with any PC that is purchased from a store.

The homebuilt market is not that big compared to corporate, government, DoD and personal sales.

FWIW, in my case, I have a PowerBook that came with Jaguar if memory serves and a PM933 that came with Mac OS 9.

Now if I legitimately upgraded both of these systems to Tiger (which is what they are running) I would have purchased 10.3 and 10.4 for the PowerBook and 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 for the PM933.

To a certain degree this is true.

However, Apple makes their money on hardware and not the OS. Also it's worth noting, that many folks who have more than one Mac at home will purchase the family version just so they have a legitimate install instead of illegal copies on their home computers. It I recall correctly, SJ mentioned that they were surprised at the positive sales of the family version.

But back to the original point. I deal with folks in both camps. Almost 100% of the PC folks will use words to the effect of where I can get or DL that for free, where as the Mac folks will generally say where can I purchase that software. After over 30 years in the personal computer arena I think that is a very interesting observation.

Just look at your average home PC and see how many bootleg copies of software there is. Then look at your typical Mac and compare. I mean many PC folks I know don't even consider getting an illegal copy of Windows, Office, Adobe, etc. as being wrong.

Another point of interest. When I bring a new person into the Mac fold, I often offer a trial use of some software to see if they want to purchase it. Almost everyone of them will just say "hey, let me try it on your computer and if I like it I will purchase it for myself." And for those who I've given a bootleg copy, every one of them has purchased the same or newer versions of the software.

Again, I am not saying Mac folks don't bootleg. Some do for sure. But it seems that the percentages are higher in the PC camp.

Anyhow, that is what I have experienced over the years. YMMV.