Single user vs Family pack

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bob5820, Aug 11, 2007.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Considering buying iWorks 08, but I'd like to know what Apple means by single user. I'd like to be able to install iWork on both my MacPro and my Macbook. As the sole user of these machines can I install a it on both machines under the single user licence, or do I need to buy the family pack.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Physically you can, but its against the EULA. Its up to your morals really :)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Seem to recall that if you are not using them at the same time... it is technically OK, but that may have been urban legend.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I went the family pack route as it isn't much more here, but you can run it on both machines but, according to the EULA, I believe that you may not run it on both.

5. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I guess my real question was can I legally install the single user on both machines as long as I am the single user of both machines? If you can only legally install on one machine shouldn’t it be a single machine, rather than a single user license. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of consistency in the use of the term “single user”, some developers use it for one copy one machine, while others use it for one copy per user. I’ll likely just avoid the whole issue and get the family pack, but if I can legally go with the single user license on both machines I’d rather do that

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess the only definitive answer then comes from Apple, not from us on the Forum. If a few of us say "yes" will that ease your mind? Maybe, but since you are asking, it probably won't. Maybe ask on the Apple site and get an answer in writing. Just a thought.

If your conscience allows, then go with the single USER theory and don't look back. If not, bite the bullet... or ask Apple.

Good luck either way, but I wouldn't stress too much over it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I asked on the forum because reading ELU's tend to hurt my head. But in the end I decided that the only definitive answer would come from Apple. To paraphrase their single user licence agreement "The license allows you to install and use one copy of the Software on a single computer at a time." Looks like I'll be buying the family pack.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know what you mean about legalese. Hope I didn't come across as dismissive. The forum does give lots of great support and answers, but they can't really answer for Apple :apple: officially (as you know).

It would make it tough to have to uninstall and reinstall on each machine every time you switched. :)

In the end, it's your call

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. ac-mac macrumors member

if i am installing on an external hard drive, and then swapping the drive between computers that i own and am the sole user of, will have to purchase the family pack?

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You will according to the EULA, but really its a moral issue...

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why?

If it is on an external drive and only connected to one computer at a time, and being used by a single user... why?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]