SINGLE USER vs FAMILY PACK

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doobi18, Oct 27, 2007.

1. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Hey there everyone,

i use two mac (both intel - a macbook & an iMac), and want to upgrade them both to leopard, but am unsure on which version to buy.

can people please tell if
    a) i would be correct in saying that the only difference is the licence agreement, therfore the only diff in buying for me is how compelled i am to user-licence properly​
    or
    b) there is proper security features like phoning home etc. so i need to get family pack​

cheers

doobs

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

To install on more than one Mac you need to get the family pack. There is nothing stopping you from installing the single user version on multiple machines except the license agreement.

Get the family pack.

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I am sure that Apple would appreciate you spending the money for two separate packs, but if you own more than one computer, then the family pack makes much more sense and it's legal. Get it, read the directions, install and good luck!

4. chris.niziolek macrumors member

I would buy the family pack. For example, we have 3 mac's in our household (MBP, MB, G5 Tower) and my little brother is going to college soon and might need a computer, so if we buy a second hand computer with tiger on it, then we can legally upgrade it to leopard if he chooses to get a mac. In short, support apple and be legal; but pirate windows all you want. :p (I do not condone pirating software)

5. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

support those who brought us this wonderful system :apple:

6. Ariez macrumors regular

It depends if you want to be moral or immoral in this situation. Nothing security wise will prevent you from installing the single user on different computers.

7. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your responses everyone

please dont get the impression that im trying to scam apple, thats the last thing i would do

for work we will soon be getting a big multi-user licence that would cover it all, but i was just wondering if in the short term it would physically work.

thanks

doobs

8. Maui19 macrumors regular

I have three Macs in my house: my (home) office desktop computer, a Powerbook, and an older G4 desktop that I keep around in case my home office G5 goes down or needs repair. My wife uses her Dell laptop and iPhone. I'm thinking that I should be getting the single user version, since I am, in fact, a single user (albeit on multiple CPUs).

I gather I will have no problem installing and running Leopard on my 3 CPUs from the single user disk--is this true?

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That is true. You will, however, be violating the license agreement, and should buy the family pack.

10. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

There is nothing stopping or restricting you from using the same copy over and over again... I did this with Tiger with no Ill effects. But this time I bought the family pack (being that when I had Tiger Installed my girlfriend wasn't my Wife Yet, So I would be breaking the licence either way), now that I have a family and both Myself and my Wife use our Macs for formal work not just fun. I think it is extra important for people to use the licence correctly if they are using their computer professionally vs. just for home enjoyment. Mostly because the cost and fustration of rolling back is lessen.

11. Maui19 macrumors regular

Why would I be violating the license agreement? It doesn't say "single computer." It says "single user." I am a single user, not a family.

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Have you actually read the license agreement?

13. Maui19 macrumors regular

No, I haven't. There is precious little information on the Apple site about the distinction between single-user and family pack. Which is why I'm here.

14. eleanorrigby macrumors newbie

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Single user is a one machine license. Family pack is a 5 machine license. At least that is what my EULA says.

16. 2clarify macrumors newbie

Clarify

To clarify for snow leopard and the old osx. If you are a single user you do not need a family pack. Per the license agreement you can only use on one computer at a time. So yes you can install on multiple computers but can only have one computer running the OS at any time. You would get the family pack if you have 2-5 computers running at the same time thats running the OS. Hope that clarifies.

17. mmnz macrumors newbie

mmnz

so what does that mean

If you have a single user disk and run it on your other four macs, would you not be able to power them and bring them on a network at the same time?

18. devburke Guest

No, what it means by only one at a time is that say you bought Tiger and then later bought Leopard; once you installed Leopard on the Tiger machine, since it’s no longer using the Tiger installation, you are free to use the Tiger installation disc on another Mac. It’s not quite the same with the SL upgrade, but that’s a different story. Not that it says it licenses you to “install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time”, not just use and run. So you can not have it installed on two computers at once.

19. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha... I started this thread two years ago regarding 10.5, but thanks for the revival...

One must remember that these are legal obligations, not technological capabilities.

Cheers

20. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Their latest system sucks so badly that they should pay us for the pain and the bugs that we have to endure.