Single vertical purple line on A1260 LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenythebeast, May 29, 2012.

1. greenythebeast macrumors regular

I recently began having a problem with my A1260 non-unibody MBP. Occasionally, a single purple vertical line shows up on the LCD screen. Torquing the screen or putting pressure on the bottom part of the bezel often makes the line go away. This makes me believe that the display cable is loose on the LCD side. I opened up the computer to confirm the display cable was seated properly on the logic board and it is. The fact that I can put pressure on the bottom bezel (where the display cable is) and fix the problem temporarily makes me feel my diagnosis is correct. What do you guys think?

http://imgur.com/a/rdGwn

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I think you are correct.

The same thing happened to a calculator I used to own. Sticking in a wad of paper between the case and display cable contacts fixed it for a while.

The same thing happened to my dad's PBG4, and he had the screen replaced.

3. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

So I opened up the display and reseated the LVDS cable. Problem still exists. I also ran the Apple Service Diagnostic for my model and everything passed. Does this suggest a faulty LVDS cable or something else?

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Might be a GPU overheating issue.

Try running a GPU intensive application to see if the issue gets worse.

5. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

Ran Cinebench without any problems. I just ordered a new cable so I'll install it and see what happens.