Single Windows 7 Installation for Boot Camp and Parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redsox786, Jan 26, 2010.

1. redsox786 macrumors member

I just recently purchased a 13" MBP Unibody and I'm thinking about installing Windows 7 (64-Bit) on it. If I install Windows with Boot Camp, and then install Parallels, do I need to make another Windows partition, or will it use the partition created in Boot Camp? Should I install Windows using Boot Camp first and then Parallels, or the other way around? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

You need to install Windows in Bootcamp first. Then, when setting up Parallels, it will give you the option of using your current Bootcamp installation in Parallels. This is what I've used and it works great, although you may need to activate Windows in both Bootcamp and Parallels.

3. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

Do you need two licenses if you have to activate it in both?

4. Flyinb macrumors member

I disagree install Paralles only, download trail to see if you like, then buy a code the trial is full version. I just bought a MBP 15 last week and installed Paralles and it took care of everything. Worked so easy, this is my first MAC and couldnt have gone smoother. Paralles will install everything you need.

5. jacobrhickman macrumors newbie

Some of us who use RAM or processor intensive programs in Windows would want both options available, so that when we run these programs only, then we can have all resources dedicated to Windows, but when we just want to slip into Windows for a quick task or two we don't have to reboot.

As far as the licenses issue goes, you should only need the one, since it is a single installation. If Microsoft doesn't allow you to re-authenticate without calling them (don't be surprised if they don't), then just explain that you are doing a re-install of the same copy on the same machine (which is true, virtually).

Can you tell me if this process worked for you? I just bought a copy of parallels and am going to try to make my Boot Camp install available through Parallels also.

6. ryanhaver macrumors member

7. FSMac macrumors newbie

i am going through the hassle of reactivation of Windows 7. i set Parallels 5 up to use my Boot Camp install and it worked fine the first time -- no activation. when i returned, i had 2 Windows 7 (Windows 7 & My Boot Camp) listed in my Parallels menu. i wasn't sure which one to use as i am sure i just created 1 Windows 7 VM. so i picked one and it wanted me to activate. i quickly shut that one down and tried the other. it again wants me to activate. i have to call MS, but i'd rather figure out which VM i should be using and then delete the other one to avoid future confusion. Does anyone know whether i should be using the plain Windows 7 or the My Boot Camp VM?

8. Stankonia macrumors regular

I have the same question; I installed Parallels on my new MBP last night and ran the Parallels Windows 7 icon, got it set up and registered, etc. Then I tried the Parallels boot camp icon to see if it was the same and it was not registered. Tried the Parallels Windows 7 icon again and it was still registered, so I will just keep using that one.

However, it loads two sets of Windows folders in the dock, one for Parallels Boot Camp and one for Parallels Windows 7. I removed the Boot Camp one but it reloads it everytime I start Windows.