"singleton" for each document

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MrFusion, Jan 3, 2011.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to have maximum one instance of a custom class for each NSDocument? If so, how would you guarantee such a thing?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Subclass NSDocument. Give it a read-only property that returns the custom "only-one-per-NSDocument" class. In the getter for the property, only make an instance of the custom class when the ivar supporting it is null. Manage ownership to match the NSDocument instance lifetime.

http://developer.apple.com/library/...ptual/Documents/Tasks/SubclassNSDocument.html

If you can't subclass NSDocument, then it's harder. You have to correlate each NSDocument instance with a single instance of your custom class. An NSMutableDictionary can do the correlation, but you won't be able to use an NSDocument instance as the key, because a copy will be stored as the key. You can use the object-address of the NSDocument to make an NSNumber, and use that as the key. Then you're basically using the object's pointer as a key.

There's probably an NSSomethingOrOther collection class that does this mapping between any-pointer-as-key and any-other-pointer-as-value, but I'm not recalling what the class name is. It would behoove you to read the Collections Programming Guide. It would behoove me to do the same, but I have less vested interest in doing so right now.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"can't subclass NSDocument" makes no sense. NSDocument is an abstract class that merely provides the basic conveniences you need to handle a document-based application. On it's own, it has no useful functionality, you have to subclass it to be able to do anything with it.

4. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that works provided that I only use "MyDocument" to retrieve an "only-one-per-NSDocument" instance. It doesn't prevent me (or someone else) from using the init method of the "only-one-per-NSDocument" and getting a second instance.
    I will have a look at the Collections Programming Guide.

5. Sydde, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think it would be as simple as this:

Code:

// in the implementation for your custom singleton class

- (id)init {
         [COLOR="Blue"]MyDocument[/COLOR]   *thisDocument = [[NSDocumentController sharedDocumentController] currentDocument];
         if ( ![thisDocument isKindOfClass:[COLOR="blue"]MyDocument[/COLOR]] ) {
              // safety check, just in case another kind of document might exist within your application
              // probably not needed
              [self release];
              self = nil;
         } else {
              if ( [thisDocument [COLOR="blue"]mySingletonClass[/COLOR]] != nil ) {
                   // the object already exists, return the existing one
                   [self release];
                   self = [thisDocument [COLOR="blue"]mySingletonClass[/COLOR]];
              } else {
                   // initialize the new instance
                   self = [super init];

/* the init code for you class goes here */

}
         }
         return self;
    }

(substituting your class names, of course)

Alternately (perhaps more effectively) you could write a class method that uses a similar technique, but creates and inits the singleton if it does not yet exist. In that case, the method should include an (id)sender parameter: if the sender is a view type object, the class method would use [[[sender window] windowController] document] instead of currentDocument to handle the possibility that the currentDocument is not what you want (e.g., a drag dropped on a window that is not the top one).

6. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brilliant! I will play around with these suggestions and see what fits best.