Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

SingTel Announces iPhone in Singapore, India, the Philippines and Australia

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a very brief press release SingTel announced that their companies would be providing the iPhone to multiple countries:
SingTel, Bharti Airtel, Globe and Optus today announced that they have signed an agreement with Apple to bring the iPhone to Singapore, India, the Philippines and Australia later this year.

More information will be released at a later date.
The countries include Singapore and the Philippines which have not had any iPhone coverage to date. Meanwhile, India and Australia will also have iPhone coverage from Vodafone. Optus will be providing iPhone coverage in Australia.

Article Link

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
And so the world domination continues.

...but it also leads me to one question: is there any information on the length of the exclusive contract O2 signed with Apple in the UK?

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Competition - damn it's good.

I hope all the major telcos sign on down here, it would make for some great prices.

2 is definitely better than one but 6 is better than 2.

Comment

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Competition - damn it's good.

I hope all the major telcos sign on down here, it would make for some great prices.

2 is definitely better than one but 6 is better than 2.

Yeah competition will be great, hopefully great for data prices. It seems outside the USA, mobile data usage is PRICEY!

Comment

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Telstra too please, Apple.

I so hope Telstra signs on too. Not coz I want to buy thru them. But if they do it will force them (in their Bigpond/Sensis guise) to drop their Internet Explorer-centric web design. And maybe then the AFL website - among others - will work fully with Safari (and Firefox for that matter).

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah competition will be great, hopefully great for data prices. It seems outside the USA, mobile data usage is PRICEY!

Yeah it's crazy. I'm always hoping someone will attempt to offer a proper internet plan but they never do. It's always too small downloads/uploads for waaay too much.

Oh to live in Japan or South Korea or anywhere else where ultra fast internet is considered a basic amenity like power and water. Ultra fast and reasonable priced would be awesome.

Comment

ThinkGeek

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Jakrta, Java, Indonesia
Singapore's getting it? Through SingTel? What about Indonesia?? I have a feeling that XL (which I think is a partner of Vodafone) will get it. Hopefully we'll get it...

Comment

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I want to buy my 3G iPhone outright and then get 2-3GB a month and $30 of calls for $30 a month. Plus free wifi at Starbucks.

I really hope the telcos downunder are so desperate to get people signed up that plans are this decent. Whom ever has the iphone cheap/plans cheap, will soak up a lot of customers.

Comment

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I think they will blow away the 10 mil mark this year with these extra countries and with 3g coming soon!

Comment

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
And so the world domination continues.

...but it also leads me to one question: is there any information on the length of the exclusive contract O2 signed with Apple in the UK?

Who knows.
But I imagine Apple is dangling a big carrot in front of O2....

"We know you'd like to release the iPhone in all your other countries - Spain of course, Czech Republic, Slovakia - and throughout South America... if you drop exclusivity in the UK we'll let you release in all those countries!"

And thus O2, Orange, and T-mobile remain silent (for now) while other providers announce multi country rollouts.

Comment

jattamerican

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Confirmed

In India the Launch of iPhone has just confirmed on one of the news channel in India. Stating the launch date Around the November and the Exclusive Carrier is Bharti Airtel :D :apple:

Comment

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
typo??

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a very brief press release SingTel announced that their companies would be providing the iPhone to multiple countries:The countries include Singapore and the Philippines which have not had any iPhone coverage to date. Meanwhile, India and Australia will also have iPhone coverage from Vodafone. Optus will be providing iPhone coverage in Australia.

Article Link

uuhhhh.....

how can australia have both vodafone and optus providing the iphone??

i think thats a typo.

Comment

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
advertised in the green guide

There's a giant ad in todays green guide in The Age from a place call Data-Mart that are selling the iPhones:

"which are from USA, and are fully unlocked and operational with all GSM service providers in Australia".

Haven't seen this before.

Comment

m242

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
There's a giant ad in todays green guide in The Age from a place call Data-Mart that are selling the iPhones:

"which are from USA, and are fully unlocked and operational with all GSM service providers in Australia".

Haven't seen this before.

I saw it in the Age this morning too...must be desperately trying to off-load 2G stock before the 3G phone arrives in Oz next month. Dealer was attempting to gouge with the cost too: $800 for an unlocked 2G phone? He's dreaming...

Comment

Blue1414

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
When is the release date?

Hi, I just wanna ask when will be the exact release date of Iphone 5 here in the Philippines? Kindly answer.
Your response is highly appreciated. :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.