SIP-VoIP...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Bitter, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Bitter macrumors member

I have been hearing so much about SIP-VoIP for a few days now and I am totally convinced on getting it....but the mic that touchmods.net makes is $45 and to me that is a hefty price for something that can only be used via WiFi, and usually if I am in a WiFi location, I have a phone with me. I keep hearing, "Oh well in the future there will be more features and stuff" and I just don't know. I can easily afford the mic, no problem, but I could use the $45 towards something else if it isn't worth it. Help? Advice?

Bitter.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, if you have to ask, the answer is probably no. If you are already using VoIP for your home phone service, it makes for a cheap WiFi handset. If you travel alot and make a lot of "daytime" calls it might make sense. If you call internationally a lot, it might make sense.

All that said, it's certainly interesting. I personally won't pay $40+ for the mic, but they tell you how to convert a <$20 Walmart mic to work yourself, so it's down to a price that I'd be willing to pay to mess around with it.

I'm waiting for a BT module, though, as that will open up all kinds of usefulness.

3. Bitter thread starter macrumors member

Hmm yeah you make a good point. If a bluetooth module is ever made, that would be great.

Do you think there is any chance of some sort of 3rd party phone application and such that could top VoIP? or is safe to say that VoIP is as good as it gets? I know people are thinking, "If you want a phone, get an iPhone" and yeah, I considered it, but I am not much of a phone person, so I don't have a need for it, which is why VoIP seemed nice because if I ever did need to make a call, if I was in a WiFi area, it would be nice and easy using my iPod. But I am just wondering if it is worth the investment to spend the money on VoIP now and possibly in the future this application gets better and more updates come out and such.

Also, how easy would converting a Wal Mart mic be?

Bitter.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

For making phone calls, VOIP is as good as it's going to get for the touch. The software will get more refined as time goes on, but the core concept will remain the same.

The mic mod doesn't look to hard, the same guys who are selling the mic attachment have info about how to do it on their blog. I've not tried it, though.

5. Bitter thread starter macrumors member

From what I have seen, the Wal-Mart near me doesn't sell it, and everywhere I look online it is $46. So I suppose if I am going to get a mic, I'd might as well buy the touchmods.net mic. I will have to think this over I suppose =/

Bitter.

6. toxicbomber macrumors 6502a

I modified my own iVoice III iPod I got from a Walmart Super Center. The sound quality is very good but when I get on VOIPhone, the quality is crap on the other end. My end is perfectly find... I just cant hear the person on the other end.