SipPhone on iPhone - the best client on iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by iphonehere, Feb 5, 2009.

1. iphonehere macrumors newbie

Now it is time for us to make voip calls from iPhone/iTouch 2nd generation.

This app supports most features we want as a sip phone:
    (1) speaker phone
    (2) true DTMF
    (3) voice mail
    (4) multiple sip servers
    (5) ringtones

and more ...

Compare to fring, in voice quality, it has better voice quality and less delay. And it has more features as a phone. More important, you can search for lower rate sip providers and use them as your service provider.

2. iSaga macrumors regular

Sounds very interesting, I have always used Skype for my international calling. Maybe it is time to look in a different direction.

3. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

4. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Not spending 7$ >.< in this economy on a sip client :-O but that's just me.

5. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

6. Luminator macrumors member

Vonage

Has anyone got this to work with Vonage? I've tried some old instructions on setting it up and they didn't work. I keep getting failed to authenticate.

7. iphonehere thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Luminator macrumors member

I was the one who actually posted that information on the site, I just didn't get around to updating this thread yet.

So here's the update information to Vonage Connection with sipphone.

Vonage will work with sipphone by adding a softphone option to your vonage account. This will cost you an additional $9.95 per month for 500 minutes. Note: This is not the same as Vonage Pro. When you add the softphone option you will be given a new phone number and password. This will be used to setup sipphone.

Domain: sphone1.voncp.com
    user name: 1+New vonage number
    password: password for your new phone number
    RTP Port: 5061

That's it, you should be good to go!

9. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

SipPhone review

OK, I've been testing SipPhone with a Macally Ivoice III and Apple's standard iPhone headset on my touch 2G, os2.2.1 for a few days now so here are some observations:

-The GUI is easy to get around and setting up your SIP account takes only a few seconds.

-Call quality is pretty good. Better then Truphone or Fring although there is a bit of echo if using an external mic (as the iPod's speaker feeds back into the mic and SipPhone does not support echo cancellation yet like Skype) but it diseappears almost entirely if using the headset. With the headset, it actually sounds close to what an iPhone sounds to me on a regular cell.

-SipPhone supports sleep mode so allows for incoming calls. That does drains the battery faster though, especially when using the Ivoice mic (blue led stays on).

-It also supports Contacts, but when a contact calls, it is his/her number and not the name that is displayed. No biggie.

-If SipPhone cannot connect to a wifi server it will toggle the SIP account tab to off. A bit of a drag (when your reconnect you have to turn it back on).

OK, thats it in a nutshell. I have to add to I'm having a recurrent bug where incoming calls invariably cut-off at the 32 second mark. I've emailed Vnet-corp's support and they're looking into it so I'll leave keep you posted.

---fixed with v1.1.6

Btw, my ISP provider offers voip over SIP for 9.99$/month unlimited US/Can with incoming #, voicemail and caller ID. Sweet!

10. petes63 macrumors newbie

Sorry if I have double posted...

I have used SipPhone and a 1st gen Touch with FW 2.2.1 + the Macally iVoiceIII and it works really well. As you say the call qaulity is excellent. My SIP provider is VoipStunt and at last I can make free calls to many international landlines. I had tried this on Fring, but because Fring uses a Proxy server VoipStunt would only give me 1 free call per week from my free minutes.

11. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

12. taimur macrumors member

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Anybody got this to work with your magicjack phone number.
    I know Magicjack released an update a month ago that put an end to using your account without the USB dongle.
    Any news on that?