Sir Edmund Hillary Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jaffa Cake, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to conquer Mount Everest (with Sherpa Tenzing, of course) has died aged 88.

He'd apparently been in declining health since April following a fall, ironically while visiting Nepal.

RIP Sir Edmund.

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

absolutely. that man had some grapes. right up there with the greatest.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

He did indeed.

[​IMG]

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

For some reason, I always had the impression he was a jerk (for no good reason). But then I read his New York Times obit, and he seems like he was just a great guy.

6. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To go somewhere uncharted, wearing them old clothes is something quite extraordinary.

Little fact- Caroline lives on a road named after Mallory, the neighbouring road named Hillary. And round the back theres an absolutely minor cul-de-sac called Everest. A bit embarassing really.

8. avincent52 macrumors regular

Hilary was always quick to give credit to his climbing partner, Sherpa Tenzing Norgay, even when most chroniclers of his accomplishment did not.

best
    Allen

9. SeanD25 macrumors newbie

Sir Edmund Hillary

I want to take a moment and remember the legacy of Sir Edmund Hillary, first man to reach the summit of Mt. Everest, who died today. He was 88 years old. Some say he was a maverick, some - that he was a rude westerner who exploited the natives of the region.

10. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I saw these news yesterday and started reading him up a bit (Wikipedia FTW) and realized how big this was. I mean he went there when there was very very little technology (GoreTex, Insulation, GPS, Satellite phones, etc) with no defined route, and with no knowledge of what they would encounter. Not to undermine the feat of the modern people who climb the Everest these days, but to me, he (and the sherpa) were the ones that really pushed things to the limit.

Great loss.

11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn