Siri a true AI?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by MBAForever, Oct 18, 2011.

1. MBAForever macrumors newbie

I would to ask a question. Is Siri an AI stuff that can develop a unique personality overtime and understand its owner's query and command more efficiently? Or is it just plain hard coded logic ?

2. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I don't know about Siri specifically, but it is based on Nuance software. Dragon Dictate attunes to your voice and vocabulary over time IF you take the time to correct it by voice. Each time you correct it to a word it didn't know, it adds that word to its vocab, and if it simply mistakes the word, then after three or four corrections it learns that the corrected word is a more likely match for that particular sound.

Apple says that Siri gets better over time, so it must do something broadly similar.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

IMHO, it's not really an AI. It can improve over time as Apple accumulates more and more voice/dialect samplings. But that's just hard-coded logic. And it's comical answers to certain questions are just programmers planting Easter Eggs. It might be the start of something amazing though, but it has a decade of development ahead before it could even come close to being "intelligent."

4. astral125 macrumors 6502

no AI here that I can see, just pre-programmed responses. I think it mimics AI in a way by using flexible syntax instead of requiring an exact syntax for each command. Some clever programming maybe, but I wouldn't consider it AI.

5. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Yes, Siri is true AI in every sense. Do a little research into SRI and their Artificial Intelligence Center and you will get a picture of where she was born and some of the technologies behind her.

AI does not mean that Siri is actually smart enough to carry on a detailed conversation with you on world politics, however AI goes way beyond simply voice command and looking up sounds-like phrases.

Siri will continue to amaze us as she learns and grows.