Siri activating by itself!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jaymd1970, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Jaymd1970 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have the same problem?

Randomly when my iPhone 6 is on charge Siri activates saying I do not understand the question?
    I have only really noticed it while I bed when my phone is charging. It could have been on charge for 10 mins or a few hours and only happens every now and again.
    Worse is when I'm asleep and you here it,making me suddenly wake up!

2. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Sounds like you have hey Siri enabled. Something on tv or whatever may be activating it.

3. Irishman macrumors 68030

Siri can respond to voice commands while plugged in to charge, when you give the command "Hey Siri" then follow it up with a question or command to do something.

It's a cool feature, but like any voice recognition, it can be confused by ambient sounds in the room. I can have my iPhone charging in the media room at home and the kids and I are watching TV and Siri responds in the same manner as she did to you.

Is there any chance Siri is hearing any ambient room or house noise?

Regardless, you can deactivate that feature in Settings > General > Siri and toggle off Allow "Hey Siri".

That should fix it for you. :)

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, disabling "Hey Siri" is basically the way to go here.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Disable Hey Siri, that in my personal opinion is a stupid feature.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do you drive....

7. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Probably he doesn't. Also it's very handy if your iPhone isn't charging right next to you.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I do, since 1990....

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I use hey Siri a ton. I think it would be more useful if it was always listening, but that may come in future iterations of the iphone :)

10. I7guy macrumors G5

Maybe let you pick your "hey siri" passphrase.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

And have better recognition so it doesn't respond to other phrases that are just similar sounding but are still not the necessary phrase.

12. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I see no reason it can't work like Google Now. I had no issues on Android with it. Maybe something to do with the sole Home Button??

13. Irishman macrumors 68030

Okay, good.

Now imagine yourself needing to call the wife, and where you're driving it's pretty intense and you can't futz around with your iPhone.

Just say "Hey Siri....call my wife"

and she will.

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I thought it would be a cool feature but both my girlfriend's iPhone and mine activated itself in a silent room (no TV, no sound around us). Also, saying "Hey Siri" only worked 3/5 times. Then again, this was at launch of iOS 8. I'm sure it's improved but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

15. Irishman macrumors 68030

I would suggest giving it another try.

16. Jaymd1970 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks got the suggestions but Siri sometimes starts even when the tv is off and I'm asleep the middle of the night.
    So how is it operating?

17. Irishman macrumors 68030

Do you have "Hey Siri" turnned on at night when you plug in?

18. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

One morning I had Msnbc driving "hey siri" crazy by talking about Syria. Environment can definitely have an effect.

19. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Do you use an apple branded charging cable? I've had the same problem, as well as a failure of the fingerprint sensor on numerous occasions while charging with a third party cable.

20. redman042 macrumors 68020

I personally love this feature, though it doesn't always activate reliably (it's ok most of the time).

Funny story: my wife and I each charge our iPhones at the bedside. Every once in a while, Siri on one of our phones activates inadvertently (I'm assuming it hears something in our conversation that sounds like "hey Siri").

Last time this happened, as a joke, I said out loud "Hey Siri, erase all of Jenny's photos".

My wife responded, jokingly: "Hey Siri, tell Bob he's an a**hole"

So Siri drafts that iMessage to my dad, who has the same name as I (not really Bob), and asks her if she wants to send it. We both yell out "CANCEL!"

Thankfully Siri heard that command successfully. We got a good laugh out of that.

21. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You must be talking in your sleep. Any loud voice (and what's louder than sudden speech in a totally quiet room?) will cause Siri to engage when device is charging. Do you snore?

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

So one night I was watching an episode of Community and woke up to this:

Attached Files:

23. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Yeah that happened to me a few times when I was watching TV and had my iPhone on the charger and it would think it heard "hey siri". I finally had to disable "hey siri".

24. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

The voice recognition leaves a bit to be desired and the false alerts really don't happen that often for me. Overall I like the feature.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Do you snore?