Siri Activation Tone in iOS 9.1

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by southerndoc, Sep 12, 2015.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I went straight from iOS 8.4 to iOS 9.1, and I noticed when I activate Siri that it doesn't give the activation tone/beep anymore.

Did Apple remove this in iOS 9 or is this a bug?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

They removed it because if you're activating Siri via the home button. The phone is in your hand and don't need audible que (you can feel the two quick taps/vibrations.) It's to be less annoying to surrounding public. You will still have the audio que if you use the hands free "Hey Siri" while plugged in or connected to Bluetooth like a car, and also with headphones.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It will also play the tone if it is something that requires a direct response (For example, the "Are you ready to send it?" prompt will play the tone).

5. Opi-Poi macrumors newbie

Opi-Poi

I found a way around this by going to Settings>General>Accessibility and turning Vibration off.
    This is system wide for iOS, apps, games, notifications and even for emergency alerts.

You'll get Siri's "Da-da" sound back but you won't get any vibration feedback at all, unless you turn it back on.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I miss the "da-da" noise, but disabling all vibration is way too much of a trade off for me.

7. Opi-Poi macrumors newbie

Opi-Poi

Yeah it is extreme. I guess I won't miss it. Very often I miss messages and calls with vibration on anyway. I hope more user customization comes to Siri though. Maybe it's trivial but I'm glad I got the sound back. Just felt "yuck" without it.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

When you're using the home button, treat it just like a push to talk microphone button. In other words, push (and hold) the button, then talk to Siri. There is no need to wait.