Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I went straight from iOS 8.4 to iOS 9.1, and I noticed when I activate Siri that it doesn't give the activation tone/beep anymore.

Did Apple remove this in iOS 9 or is this a bug?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They removed it because if you're activating Siri via the home button. The phone is in your hand and don't need audible que (you can feel the two quick taps/vibrations.) It's to be less annoying to surrounding public. You will still have the audio que if you use the hands free "Hey Siri" while plugged in or connected to Bluetooth like a car, and also with headphones.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
They removed it because if you're activating Siri via the home button. The phone is in your hand and don't need audible que (you can feel the two quick taps/vibrations.) It's to be less annoying to surrounding public. You will still have the audio que if you use the hands free "Hey Siri" while plugged in or connected to Bluetooth like a car, and also with headphones.

It will also play the tone if it is something that requires a direct response (For example, the "Are you ready to send it?" prompt will play the tone).

Opi-Poi

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2015
Guernsey, Channel Islands
I found a way around this by going to Settings>General>Accessibility and turning Vibration off.
This is system wide for iOS, apps, games, notifications and even for emergency alerts.

You'll get Siri's "Da-da" sound back but you won't get any vibration feedback at all, unless you turn it back on.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I found a way around this by going to Settings>General>Accessibility and turning Vibration off.
This is system wide for iOS, apps, games, notifications and even for emergency alerts.

You'll get Siri's "Da-da" sound back but you won't get any vibration feedback at all, unless you turn it back on.

I miss the "da-da" noise, but disabling all vibration is way too much of a trade off for me.

Opi-Poi

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2015
Guernsey, Channel Islands
I miss the "da-da" noise, but disabling all vibration is way too much of a trade off for me.
Yeah it is extreme. I guess I won't miss it. Very often I miss messages and calls with vibration on anyway. I hope more user customization comes to Siri though. Maybe it's trivial but I'm glad I got the sound back. Just felt "yuck" without it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When you're using the home button, treat it just like a push to talk microphone button. In other words, push (and hold) the button, then talk to Siri. There is no need to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.