Siri Allternatives

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrinkster22, Oct 18, 2011.

1. wrinkster22, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Now I understand a lot of iPhone 4 users were upset they cant use Siri. So I took it upon myself to figure out the best Siri alternatives. Perhaps we can get this stickied.. Keep in mind.. this is not cheap but still cheaper than a new phone:

1) Text and Drive Pro: This app runs constantly runs in the background. You select an interval for it to check for emails. When it detects a new email, it says "Text and drive, New email..." Kind of nice. Supports more than 1 account
    Cost: 5$

2) IOS voice commands: This app tells you all the things that the existing voice commands can do, the info is likely online but it is still nice.
    Cost: 1$

3) Vlingo: This is the most like Siri app. When you open the app you can do several things. You can voice text, voice email, voice maps, facebook/twitter updates, etc. I would strongly recommend this app. You can even say whats the weather like in san francisco like in the add, and the weather forecast will come up. this combined with Text and drive... "Sara emailed you.... can equal a very siri esque use.
    Cost: Free initially. In app purchases range from 5-10$

4) Google Search: This is just a simple internet browser. You just speak instead of type.
    Cost: Free

5) Dragon Dictation: This app converts voice to text. It is pretty accurate. There is also options to email it and post it on Facebook.
    Cost Free.

I will keep on the hunt. Hope you enjoy my right up. I am looking for more apps that are voice controlled. Feel free to post your experiences with other voice apps. I will get them and add them to the list.
    Paul

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Your post would have to look a lot nicer and be about a more important subject to get it stickied.

3. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I will try to make it look nicer suggestions?

4. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Use breaks between the alternatives. Bold text important info (name/cost). Remove APP 1 APP 2 etc. Just the names is fine. Use exact cost rather than rounding up.

Ex.
    Now I understand a lot of iPhone 4 users were upset they cant use Siri. So I took it upon myself to figure out the best Siri alternatives. Perhaps we can get this stickied. Keep in mind, this is not cheap but still cheaper than a new phone.

Text and Drive Pro - This app constantly runs in the background. You select an interval for it to check for emails. When it detects a new email, it says "Text and drive, New email..." Kind of nice. Supports more than 1 account.
    Price: $4.99

This is how I would do it. Just saying.

5. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Surprised..

Hi Everyone..
    I am a little surprised that this has not caught on.. Perhaps because it has not been posted for very long, it is burried in the iPhone forum, to many posts shove it down forum spy, or lack of interest. I would really like to build on this thread. I have s a few questions:
    1) Would you use any of these apps

2) Would these apps be able to hold you off until the next revision

3) Has anyone actually used any of these apps?

4) Would you be interested in using any others and post your experience?
    There are many other voice apps. There are apps like voice calculator, voice reminders, etc

thanks, Paul

6. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

bump,
    I have seen several complaints about the lack of siri still on older devices. This is great!

New emails are read to you automatically!
    You can respond by voice
    You can ask what time it is
    dictate internet searches...
    I have been fooling around with it and actually quite pleased.

7. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22