Siri and Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Bushy162, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Bushy162 macrumors member

I think if Apple release something new related to TV, it will be based around the Siri app. I don't think the "move" waving hands around idea will last.

Who agrees with me?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I agree, but how are multiple people going to be able to control this?

3. Bushy162 thread starter macrumors member

You mean how is Siri going to get to grips with several different voices?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Partly, especially at the same time. How is it going to know when you are talking to itself or to your other half on the sofa? With an iPhone you have to explicitly press a button to launch Siri. In a lounge environment I don't see this working.

5. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The Xbox solves this by requiring you say Xbox before giving a command. I could see them releasing a remote like the current ATV remote that lets you hold down the button to initiate a voice command. So it might not be hands-free but it would still not require you to have a complex remote to work.

6. Morrus macrumors member

I would probably work like Siri does now, and be controlled by your iPhone (like the current Remote app, but baked into the OS). Hold down the home button as normal and ask Siri to show you what you want on the TV.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

So you would need an iPhone to use your Apple TV? That excludes a large share of the possible market.

I am not trying to argue with you, and I feel they will implement Siri somehow. I just can't see how it would work in a real life situation.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Obviously it will come with a remote. If it works like on the phone you will just hold down a button to initiate the voice command.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It will probably come with an iPod Touch type remote that accepts Siri commands

10. Siggen macrumors 6502

Or Siri will come to iPod Touch, and an iPod touch will be included as a remote? Cause the kids will run away with the iTouch, they will probably include a regular remote also (regular IR remote they have now maybe updated) or include a all handsfree solution.

Other providers do this, namely samsung, which includes a traditional remote, and a samsung galaxy media player running android as an alternative remote with Android Play (Market) on.

11. Morrus macrumors member

It's the "pressing a button like on the iPhone" art that's important, not the presence of an actual iPhone. Though your iPhone would likely be an option for control. I would guess at a cheap new Apple TV remote for Apple TV (and if an actual TV set gets produced, built into the remote of that TV set).

I can't see it working well without a button press which both mutes the TV sound briefly and tells the system you're giving it instructions.