Siri and data plan usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhiteDuallyIL, Oct 14, 2011.

1. WhiteDuallyIL macrumors newbie

I'm not ure if this has been discussed but it was a thought I have and I haven't seen anyone else discuss it yet.

Does using Siri usage data go through your data plan for the phone package. I am on Verizon and grandfathered in on my unlimited data plan so I am ok but for the people who don't have unlimited could using Siri use up that data allowance?

I got the 4S and have been playing with it a bunch and when you ask Siri things it is searching the internet and such so it has to being pulling the data from somewhere.

I am sure you guys get what I am trying to say

Discuss

2. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Siri like most females is going to cost you a LOT of money if you want to continue to play with it daily. :eek:

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be able to give you a better answer as to how much data Siri uses but I would assume it would be minimal. But to your question, yes I am sure it uses some data from your plan.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Classic!

5. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

So does that mean she won't talk to me one day out of the month also?

6. mastercheif91 macrumors regular

It's not going to use that much data. The iPhone does the translating of your voice to text. Then the iPhone sends the "text" to the magical siri server that interprets what you said into an action. It then sends back the instruction to your phone.

This is my understanding at least. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

7. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

:D

If it only lasts one day per month, you've got a good woman right there!

8. WhiteDuallyIL thread starter macrumors newbie

it was a thought i had and figured for the people who dont have an unlimited plan they may want to be made aware of how siri works. plus id like to understand how the system works as well