Siri and dictation have stopped working since iOS9

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by cameronjpu, Oct 11, 2015.

1. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

At least have the time... and it tends to be hour to hour, not attempt to attempt when it changes from working to not working and back. I use Siri dictation all the time to compose emails, and now, when I press the Mic button, the dictation interface starts, does nothing, then stops 2 seconds later. Nothing is dictated.

I'll try again 10 times and it does the same thing. Then I'll try an hour later, and maybe it'll work as usual for a few hours. Then I'll try again and it'll be broken again for a while.

It's making me want to throw my phone out the car window.... It reduces to zero my ability to respond to issues while on the road, which is a large part of my day and a majority of my time available to do email.

Last night I did a full wipe and clean install, no restore (PAINful as that was with my 200 apps), mostly to try to fix the fact that spotlight can't search my contacts properly anymore. It fixed that problem, but I was very surprised to find that Siri still doesn't work.

I've tried turning Siri off and on, but that didn't work. Any suggestions? Or, just wait for another update? I've also tried it with and without headphones, and tried a new set of headphones too. Ugh!

2. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is an update:

Most interestingly, it also is unreliable for dragon dictation most of the time too, which makes me think it's either a hardware issue with the Mic circuitry, or a driver issue for the Mic. It happens both with the headphones plugged in and not, so that's not the source of the problem. Really frustrating! Below is a video of the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvlebl3ha4vh464/2015-10-13 17.42.18.mov?dl=0