Siri and dictation won't listen to me

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by koerk, Jul 12, 2014.

1. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

Hey,

I'm running into some problems with Siri and the iOS dictation feature. It doesn't work and does not recognize what I'm saying when I'm saying it - means it acts like I'm not saying anything at all. The mic is fine, I can call and talk to people.

When I start Siri and talk the line that "waves" to my voice doesn't move one bit and Siri cancels the request because it gets no input. Same with dictation.

A restart and de- and re-activating Siri in settings doesn't help either.

Any suggestions what to do?

Thanks

2. koerk thread starter macrumors regular

koerk

Did a few full resets today. One time with reinstalling the iCloud backup and after that I set it up as a new device. Nothing changed anything about Siri not listening that I was talking...

Could it be the hardware?
    Any ideas?

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

One of your three mics is a goner, unfortunately it is the one Siri and dictation use. There is no easy fix, if you go to an apple store they can't even repair it there all they can do is swap you for a refurb. Expect to pay a lot $$$$. Sorry for the bad news. I just went through this.

4. koerk thread starter macrumors regular

koerk

?
    So which mic does Siri and dictation use?

----------

And where is the third mic, I only count two...

5. koerk thread starter macrumors regular

koerk

After 3 restores and 3 calls at apple care, apple is willing to send me a new iPhone - thanks to my protection plan. They don't seem to know what causes said problem either...