Siri and email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Oct 19, 2011.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

First of all, I don't use push or automatic email checking because I find that if I do, my battery is usually dead by the end of the day.

I asked Siri to check my email today, and she said I had no new emails. However, when I manually opened the email app, it refreshed and showed me one new email.

So I am wondering if Siri actually checks for new emails when you ask her to (as in polling the IMAP server for new unread messages), or if she just looks at the inbox and tells you if there's anything in there unread from what has already been downloaded. If it's the later, it's less useful. I'd like her to actually check for new messages while I am on a long drive for example, so I know if it's worth pulling over to read my email or not. I know it's possible to open the mail app while driving, let it refresh, then ask her, but that seems to defeat the purpose of using Siri.

2. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

So I tried again today and the question "Do I have any new emails" definitely only looks at what is already in your inbox (it does not poll the server to check for new messages).

Even if I say "check for new email" she just displays whatever has already been downloaded.

I guess that would work fine if i used push, but I don't.

Does anybody know if there is a command that makes Siri look for new unread messages from the server?

I tried "refresh my email", "reload my email", "check for new mail in account X" but all she ever says is "you have at least 25 new emails" even though I know there is one unread message on the server.

3. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Unfortunately she doesn't retrieve new e-mails... one of the flaws

4. ksoze macrumors regular

One of the missing features in this beta. A flaw would be if it did it wrong ;)

5. paj macrumors regular

paj

Other than a passing comment in the keynote, Apple is marketing this as a finished product.

"beta" is not mentioned anywhere here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html , nor on the latest TV commercial featuring Siri.

Although I agree that it's a missing feature and not a flaw.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's badged beta on that page.

I agree with you that it's simply a feature that Siri doesn't have (yet?).

I wonder too how much push vs. polling helps battery life. I have push on (Gmail / Google Apps) along with WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. and can easily run all day on a charge.

Attached Files:

7. paj macrumors regular

paj

I stand corrected. My apologies.

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

my bad, you were already corrected ;)

9. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I've tested it and Push definitely results in a shorter battery life.

I just check for email whenever I feel like it, I don't want to be distracted with new emails otherwise, so I don't mind leaving push off. Sometimes it would be nice to use Siri to do that but I guess not. At least she can tell me about new text messages while I'm driving.