Siri and Google Voice Integration

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nikonian, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nikonian macrumors member

Nikonian

Hi Everyone.

So I'm upgrading my 3GS to a 4S. I was considering getting a Galaxy Nexus because of andriod's Google Voice integration. I am pretty attached to Google Voice whereas I refuse to pay the ripoff prices that carriers want to transfer a couple kilobytes of information known as texting.

But alas I didn't. I have too many awesome iOS applications to give up, that, and Siri. But mostly, Siri. So here's my question for you Apple Geniuses:

I understand that you can text through Siri and make calls through Siri but this would be going through my actual phone line and I really want to avoid this. Do you know of any ways to be able to text and, less importantly, dial out using my google voice number through Siri? I don't mind jailbreaking to get it done and am familiar with the process.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not currently possible SIRI APIs are not (yet) available to developers, only Apple can make calls to those API (for now) so none Apple app can't be invoke from SIRI (as right now). It is coming and once those API are public, we'll see also many JB apps to be integrated with SIRI.

On the other note, i would NOT expect G voice integration with SIRI anytime soon after those API are release, Google (and for good reasons) is know for being very slow to roll iOS app and new features like that.

3. Nikonian, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

Nikonian thread starter macrumors member

Nikonian

Oh I'm well aware that there isn't going to be an official google solution any time soon. Hence why I'm seeking the advice of the iPhone Hacks forum. I once came across a jailbreak mod that allowed one to text via google voice through the messaging app… I wonder if this would do the same thing for Siri? Any input?

Let's get some brainstorming up in here.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yield the "on the other note" part...;)

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I would think that when you get JB'd on the 4S, the SMS GV Extension would work for SMS sent via Siri.

6. supervelous macrumors 6502

I would agree with the above. All Siri does to my knowledge is create a message in the stock messages app and sends it for you. The SMS GV Extension seems to just reroute anything being sent out of Messages app through GV instead of the carrier channels for SMS.

When I sent texts via Dragon Dictation or Vlingo, they go via Google Voice due to SMS GV Extension, I'd think Siri would do the same, but no way to know until the 4S is jailbroken.

7. Nikonian thread starter macrumors member

Nikonian

This is really really good news, and was what I was hoping.

The extension is called SMS GV? I think that rings a bell, and the one I looked at did just that.

Im sure there are plenty of other of people in my position who are curious too, so this may come up again. Here's to hoping that a reliable jailbreak is around the corner!