Siri and regional/national accents

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michelob tfs, Oct 5, 2011.

1. michelob tfs macrumors member

I'm concerned Siri will be a bit of a pointless feature if you don't speak the queens English or American English.

The following clip illustrates how I see it working in my country... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3JcHhA7M-Y

Anyone else concerned about this being a non-feature for some people in the iPhone 4S?

2. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Thats what you get for being Scottish - yet another disadvantage eh!

Lol im joking champ .. just speak posh each time you want it to do something?

3. michelob tfs thread starter macrumors member

I don't do speaking posh pal :D

4. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

then my friend you are politely up the proverbial creek without a means to paddle .. email tim cook and tell him he's a prat for not thinking of this and that the whole 4S thing is a ****ing joke! lol

tim.cook@apple.com

5. michelob tfs thread starter macrumors member

tbh I'm pretty happy with my existing 4 so will probably hold off for the 5 next year. A new iPhone ever couple of years is good enough for me

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

You might want to look into Nuance. Apple is using Nuance's voice recognition technology with Siri to give it a better experience. Nuance has some if not the best voice recognition software out there

7. michelob tfs thread starter macrumors member

I believe it's Nuance that does the voice recognition in my Audi. It's better than other voice things i've tried before, but it still picks me up wrong fairly regularly

8. katana92 macrumors member

katana92

i rekon its pure wee dafty feature.

no body types properly now a days especially when it comes to text / sms

i wonder how siri would read this.

for example .... o r8 pal ;) wht ya doin 2nite r u cumin ova i'll b w8n 4 ya. gr8 if ya brng bota bucky.

9. michelob tfs thread starter macrumors member

LOL :cool:

haw siri doll, whit time is ra last trenne tae Glesgae byraway?

10. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I have a friend which such a heavy accent that if he spoke to Siri, Siri will probably quit his job.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it depends on if it has a learning feature in it. If you have an odd accent it takes time for it learn it but generally they pick up on it over time.
    I would not be surprised if it will be like Google's voice feature where it high lights words that it is not 100% about and you can correct them. From there it remembers it and adds that into it correction system.

12. michelob tfs thread starter macrumors member

13. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Michelob,

Thanks for video mate! It was Funny!!!!! Could listen to you guys all day. What a beautiful dialect.

Cheers,
    Mark

14. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Whilst I'm not disputing the fact that Siri has problems with regional accents, that BBC report is very poor - in most of the examples the reporter speaks while Siri is still listening, so it's actually his interruption that's leading to bad recognition, not the accent. In another example, the response Siri gives that it can only look for businesses in the US is nothing to do with its voice recognition capabilities, just its syntax analysis.